Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

Transitioning back to work, Part I

12 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I haven't returned to work yet and, to tell the truth, I am terrified to go back. Not that I think I will have any stigma from my employees but I am afraid that any head way I have made will be erased. I have been off for one month, am trying a different medication since last week and have my next follow-up appointment Thursday. I don't want to return to work yet. For the first time in my life, I am putting myself first and trying to get ahold of this thing that has been plaguing me since childhood.

On the other hand, I have been off on Maternity leave twice before. The advice that Ashley gives is definitely the right way to handle things. No matter how long you have been off, tread lightly when returning. Things will have changed. Go slowly and become part of that change. Good luck to anyone returning to work soon. I wish you well. 
12 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

For many, returning to work is a scary undertaking. We are here to help! Below you’ll find some great tips to help you transition back to work:

- Don’t go back until you are ready. Make treatment your job. Work hard, take the time to adjust to any medications and work through your feelings. You are your first priority at this time.
- Speak with your boss about potential strategies for going back to work. Trying to ease back slowly is recommended. Working from home or on a casual basis can be a great first step. At this time you can also ask about what changes have occurred in the company or position during your absence and who filled your shoes.
- Tread lightly. Chances are your coworkers may have taken on additional projects or responsibilities. They also may have made many decisions in your absence. Be open to them and do take the time to acknowledge & thank them for their efforts.
- Decide on disclosure. Your coworkers may have questions for you upon your return as to your whereabouts or the reason for your absence. Some have found it a relief to be open about it but with the unfortunate presence of stigma surrounding mental health, it’s best to judge each environment individually.

Have any members here transitioned back to work? Any members in this process now?
Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: