Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,537 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Topic: Myth or Fact?

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great question goofy.

As you have heard in the past, depression can present itself in various forms and intensity in our own lives. With that being said, it can difficult to predict the course of depression and the need for medication. However, from your post it is clear that you have made great gains in your own life. Have you spoken to your doctor about your wishes to be off your medication? Have they offered further suggestions to you? Most anti-depressant medications take between 6-12 months to become effective and during this time, you have also been learning other coping strategies and techniques. Once you step off the medication, these strategies then become the primary method of treatment for any depression episodes you may have.

Although stepping off your medication may seem overwhelming, your determination will help you succeed in your own journey.

Let us know how you are doing goofy and if there is anything we can do to help.
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Faryal.  One of things that I found so hard to accept re: my depression was when my doctor told me that I'd be this way forever.  Not necessarily at the level I was functioning, but medication would always be necessary to control it. 

Does your "fact" contradict this and if so, when will I "know" that I may not need the medication.  I hope that this is a glimmer of hope in an otherwise frustrating situation.  I have made great strides in dealing with my depression with therapy, this program and the results of working hard at this program.  Great family and friends supporting me, sometimes pushing me and pulling me along the way.  I would love to NOT need the medications, regain all my focus and concentration, be able to read a book or more than a paragraph or two at one time, less difficulty making decisions and other side effects of depression.  

I'm just curious on your opinion on this topic.

Thanks

14 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

A depressed person should be in a sheltered, protected environment for the rest of his/her life.

Fact: With successful treatment, the person returns to his/her normal self, and can resume all personal, social and occupational activities.

Faryal - Health Educator

Reading this thread: