Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Telling Friends & Family

16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's really hard to say "I'm not doing well today" especially when others appear to be tired of hearing it. I have one person that is supportive 95% of the time but I have limited access to this friend. My boyfriend is sometimes supportive and sometimes just tired of it. My family doesn't understand at all. I can say to my oldest son that I'm not having a good day and he immediately jumps in to help me out and gives me a hug which makes me cry. My oldest daughter just rolls her eyes and says don't be so emotional. My mother says have a cigarette and you will be fine (I quit smoking 2.5 yrs ago) and my dad just says oh well. I think everyone else just thinks I'm crazy. I try to hide my depression from my co-workers and if they ask what is wrong I just say I'm overwhelmed and tired. I totally avoid the depression conversation because I don't think anyone who hasn't experienced it can understand how badly it really feels.
16 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It depends on whether or not they buy into the stigma. Telling family who then ignore and avoid you isn't really very helpful.
16 years ago 0 144 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think we definately should tell our family and a boyfriend/husband about what we are suffering. It's hard to hide this problem from our close ones. They can help by at least supporting us.
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, It is often difficult to share the difficulties you are currently experiencing with friends and family. Many often debate as to whether or not informing family and close friends would be beneficial. Remember, what you tell your friends and family is up to you. What you can say probably depends on what your friends and family are like. Some people may try to understand your problems and respond to you with support. Others may not understand and have trouble supporting your efforts to get better. Seek support from those who are most likely to give it. If you decide to tell a good friend or a supportive family member about your depression, just tell them the facts. Tell them that you believe that you're struggling with depression and that you're trying to do something about it. If you've been trying to hide your depression from someone, sharing this information may help them understand your behavior. If you tell them that you have a problem and that you're working on it, good friends and supportive family members usually want to know how they can help. Tell your good friends and family that just knowing that they're trying to understand your depression and support you is important to you. You can tell your supporters that they can help by learning more about depression. The more they understand it, the better they can help. If you're having trouble explaining how you're feeling, you may decide to point them in the direction of this Web site. Below are a number of general suggestions for what you might say to friends and family members who want to help you cope with a depressive disorder: •Only offer to help me if I ask you. •Try to let me be in control of my treatment and recovery even if it seems that I want you to take charge. •Try to stay positive, and be patient with me. •Be prepared for my successes and setbacks. We now invite the members of the group to share how they told their family and friends. We also invite any who may be struggling with this problem to share it among the group so that solutions may be brainstormed! Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: