Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Sharing Your Journey!

12 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's great Cheryl thanks for sharing. I hope you reach your destination too! Most people that are close to me are aware that I am suffering from bad anxiety, however It always seems to me that they just don't quite get it. I haven't actually met anyone who suffers from anxiety like I do and can relate with my experience of it, that's why it's so encouraging to hear from all of you to make me aware that it is a common illness and it can be overcome. I find being a Christian I learn to lean on God and call upon his help, knowing he understands me completely gives me a sense of peace about it all. 

Xo
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aw!

Thanks for sharing Cheryl. Very sweet. And also a great way to keep you focused. How great would it feel to be able to comfortably and fully share your life with your loved one?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Being in a relationship for the last year with a wonderful man that I love very much and told from the very beginning about my panic disorder and thought he really understood asked me something yesterday that blew my socks off.
As I sometimes feel more comfortable going places alone in my car for fear he might see me panic. He asked me yesterday if I was ashamed of him and that's why I never venture out with him. I felt so horrible thinking he felt that way. I assured him that was not the case and that I was so proud to be with a kind and loving man and would love to show the world, I am just not there yet. He hugged me and said he loved me and lets go do the groceries together as he knows this is one of the few places we go together. This has made me even more determined to reach my destination with my sweetheart on my arm.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sharing your vulnerable side with others takes a lot of courage.  Whether their reactions were good or not so good, I hope that you have experienced a greater sense of self and comfort in knowing that you are not alone in your experiences.  
Even if you may not find the support you need from those around you, you can find it with us on the PC site!  

Wishing you all a great weekend,

12 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My ex was a bit supportive at first but it eventually pushed him away and that's why he's my ex now. So from that I've had a hard time to admit/say that I have, espeically agoraphobia and anxiety disorder. But I was able to tell one friend and then she shared me about her anxiety as well. After that I've told another person and they were just 'cool' about it, it didn't make them stop being my friend. so now I'm eager to just tell people who ever come into my life now.. and if they have a problem with it and let me know, then I will know not to rely on them. But it's not easy for me to say it still. but it's a relief when I find someone like me, so i'll take the risk.
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've tried to share my story with a lot of people because of the positive responses I recieved early on.  I found out that so many friends have had experiences of some kind with anxiety (either they personally had it or someone they loved did).  These friends were so wonderful and all made a point to say that I could call anytime.  
So, I feel like I can tell others because they either can share a similar experience or they will know that I am someone upon whom they can rely on if they are ever in need.  We all seem to be okay with sharing if we have a cold or if we break our leg, I don't believe that there should be a stigma around anxiety or depression.  It happens so often and seemingly more and more. 
Hope this answer helped,
Carmie 
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Josie, just to clear up one sentence below...I was saying if she got help, she would call it "personal growth", while for me it was seen as "therapy", contrasting us.  I thought that really hurt

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Josie,
I didn't get a chance to respond to this thread.

My experience was I'd only told one person, who was close.   The reason for the disclosure was that the relationship might have become more serious, and I felt it was timely. 

I don't think she really accepted me, and she could have used help herself, a number of times.  What was annoying was if she did something, it was "personal growth" and  if did something for help, it was seen as a weakness.   It was also draining to have long conversations with her, as she attempted to resolve her issues from my personal sessions' recaps, since she didn't have the courage to seek help herself.  Her pride cost her a great deal.
12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

It is often difficult to share the difficulties you are currently experiencing with friends and family. Many often debate as to whether or not informing family and close friends would be beneficial.

Remember, what you tell your friends and family is up to you. What you can say probably depends on what your friends and family are like. Some people may try to understand your problems and respond to you with support. Others may not understand and have trouble supporting your efforts to get better. Seek support from those who are most likely to give it.

If you decide to tell a good friend or a supportive family member about your anxiety, just tell them the facts. Tell them that you believe that you're struggling with anxiety and that you're trying to do something about it. If you've been trying to hide your anxiety from someone, sharing this information may help them understand your behavior.  If you tell them that you have a problem and that you're working on it, good friends and supportive family members usually want to know how they can help.  Tell your good friends and family that just knowing that they're trying to understand your depression and support you is important to you.  You can tell your supporters that they can help by learning more about anxiety. The more they understand it, the better they can help. If you're having trouble explaining how you're feeling, you may decide to point them in the direction of this web site.

Below are a number of general suggestions for what you might say to friends and family members who want to help you cope with an anxiety disorder:

• Only offer to help me if I ask you
  • Try to let me be in control of my treatment and recovery even if it seems that I want you to take charge
  • Try to stay positive, and be patient with me
  • Be prepared for my successes and setbacks

We now invite the members of the group to share how they told their family and friends. We also invite anyone who may be struggling with this problem to share it among the group so that solutions may be brainstormed!

Reading this thread: