Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

This Week´s Prep

12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cdn.Guy:  You are doing great!  I love reading your posts. Always positive, always looking forward and not backward.  I think I'm the same way.  The future holds so many surprises, gifts and good things for us, so much living to do.  We need to let go of the past and look toward the future.  The past is gone - let go of those fears.  Every day is a new beginning.  We may get curve balls thrown at us every now and then, some might even hit us, but remember the lessons of the past experiences, all you have learned and how stong you can be, and keep your face to the shining sun.

Your friend,
Sunny
12 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sunny and the gang,

Yep, I used this today. When I started to second guess the whole moving thing and how that all went, or is going. I reminded myself that it was a decision I agreed to, and the reasons why I agreed to this. It is for a great end goal that my sweetie and I both desired. It was for a goal that brought us together in the first place. We both wanted a homestead and that lifestyle and this is the way that we'll get that. Plus we both love each other madly! What more does a man want for reasons to move across the country? That is my decision and I own that. 

It helps a bit to think that way. It isn't a magic pill, but it helps reframe things a bit.

12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit and Cdn.Guy:  I really believe this too.  It's the lack of control - those out of control feelings, the fear - which wreaks havoc with the mind and body.  As I wrote in another post, I gave myself permission, or I allowed myself, same idea as "it is my decision", therefore I am in control.  There are no guilt feelings (negative thought) when you are in control and decide for yourself (positive thought).   Avoidance tactics are not what I mean here, avoiding something is totally different.

Your friend, Sunny
12 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Davit,

I like that. I'm going to use that. I hope it helps others too.

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs. It is entirely possible to shop without a single negative thought affecting you simply by repeating one thing every time they try to surface. "it is my decision". Put this before every negative thought and they have no power. It is my decision to go to this store. It is my decision to get tired going up and down the isles, it is my decision to stand in this line up. On and on till you are back home. It is a coping skill to handle the exposure and with enough exposure (successful exposure) you soon can do it without conscious thought that it IS your decision. And it is your decision also to look at every situation negatively or positively. You don't have to uproot the tree all you have to do is go around it. You soon will not even notice it is there. 

Davit
13 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I find that if I push myself to hard and get to tired everything I do seems harder from both a physical and emotional stand point...I have been trying to make sure I get enough sleep..I have also been trying to let myself relax and just be when I need to. This seems to help me..

Of course this is easier said than done...
But I am still learning how to love myself and take care of my basic needs...

The most important thing is for me to remember is that it's ok to take care of me now...

Sid...
13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m,
A visual analogy that came to me had to do with attempting to excavate a tree which is deeply rooted as an anaolgy to your shopping without negative thoughts. 
If that old tree is removed, some of those roots, or negative thoughts, may still be there, firmly rooted and not helpful.

I suppose we can focus on progress instead of perfection
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you dear friends, primarily for just being here!  And, of course, for your willingness to share your insight and wisdom with me.  Just reading through the posts brought my level of anxiety way down.  Started to remember to breathe too :)
What a relief... yes, I still fall, but with your help I sure do get up more quickly.  Will take awhile to digest everything.... will write more later.  Again, thank you.  THANK YOU! 
Guy.

Just an aside, since math was never a problem for me, and I can not memorize the 13 times table. but I can hold more than one thing in my mind at once. So I go 10 times and since this is closely related to the figure I am multiplying easy to remember plus three times the figure and add the two. 23 times just adds one more step. and even numbers are even easier no matter how big they are.

Much like panic. Break it down to a size you can deal with and add the successes together to make a whole. Far easier than being overwhelmed by the whole. 

Davit.

Ps. We learn from experience no matter how hard we try not too. EG. if it was not good enough for your dad then it can't be good enough for you. Is this a crock or what?
Hi. ~m

Now that is a good vent. 

The problem here is more than one thing. It entails things you might not have thought of. I won't go into detail about how this is normal, all be it a pain in the butt. It is about belief. Now you know I have been through this so it is all personal experience. Not believing you can do it but that you can do it consistently.
It is about routine. You don't have this as a normal automatic routine.
It is about you. Did you do the shopping for you or some one else? (Easter) It is a lot easier to shop for some one else than for yourself, you are so used to disappointing yourself what does it matter if you do it one more time. It is easy to add in a few things for yourself while you are there and since it is going well.

I love to shop, I hate having to. I also find it difficult to now because my ankles give out. It also is not routine. So I have had to add it to my routine to make it acceptable. Even though it is random I still made it part of my routine. So now every so many days I shop. (not specific) It is now routine like eating.

I truly believe that with the help of coping skills can now do this routine thing consistently. There may be a little anxiety to deal with but I know I can and that it will pass. I really believe this. And I can. Tomorrow I have to go to town and get a routine blood test and a dressing change for my Picc line. (which I would like removed) I don't want to but I will. I will likely fit in some shopping too by telling myself that by doing it I won't have to again for a while.

So the question here is not whether or not you can do this exposure, you have proved you can. It is why are you freaking out about something that was good. 
Simple the negative thought that you can't is not buried far enough. It needs more exposures to do that but they don't have to be physical they can be thought. You can pick out all the good points of that exposure and play them over and over.
Or you can make up some (subconscious or not) what ifs and negative thoughts. Which you seem to be doing since you said the exposure was good.

One other thing, it is real easy to be negative when I am tired. Far to easy actually. I may have won the war but I still have to protect the border. It just isn't as much work as it used to be.

So you need to convince yourself that since you did it once you can do it consistently. You have to accept that it may not always go that good. This is normal and tomorrow is another chance to make it good. But most of all you have to believe that you can do it and that you obviously have the skills too. And you have to be willing to put up with the pain when it all goes for s..t.

Oh and you have to take my word for it that it does get better, it really does. The world for you and me will never be perfect but it certainly is acceptable.

Davit.

Reading this thread: