Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Myth or Fact?

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Luciana.

Oh there is stuff that goes in the wood stove, but for the most part I just build it and give it away. It takes a bit of concentration and I have found that if I feel a bit of anxiety building just spending an hour or so in the shop will make it go away. It is far better than staring at the wall or getting annoyed at the TV. (which I don't have). 
What happens to me since I have had anxiety for so long is that as soon as a bit of anxiety happens I magnify it all out of proportion. (I'm not the only one) In the summer I garden or do busy work on a tractor. In the winter I build things. What ever a person chooses to do it has to be easy enough to do but not so easy as to allow time for negative thoughts.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Davit,

I just checked out some of your wood work and it all looks amazing! I'm very impressed. I took woodworking way back in grade 8 for a semester, and I couldn't even make a little jewlery box with straight edges!

It's fine to share the link to these pictures since you are not advertising or selling anything else.

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
Finally!  It's in my blog.
It still won't work unless My computer sends it. Let me work on it a while.
Davit.
Red

I made a mistake. It is supposed to be : after http not.  I tried it a while ago and it opened. You have to put it in google manually. I haven't figured out how to install it so you just have to click on it. I hope it doesn't get bumped off here cause it cost a lot of money to set up.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,

I was not able to get into the site.  I do not see any problem with you putting up a picture of your projects here.  It is your hobby and a form of therapy.  I take picture of sunsets and grow roses as a hobby and change my picture quite often.  I really don't think there will be a problem with you doing the same thing with your woodworking projects. It is a reflection of who you are.  If they have a problem with it or anything you are doing  or posting they will email you and let you know.  I know this from experience.  I am more comfortable seeing your latest project here.

It would be nice if one of the educators would answer this post and let us know

Red
Hello Red.

I set up an account with mobile me and have a web page now. The address is in my blog. So far I have only put in a bit of woodwork. The problem is that a lot of stuff I gave away before I took pictures of it. I hope to be able to set this up so that you only have to click on it. The other thing is that I'm not sure doing this fits the rules of this site. I'm not selling or advertising but you never know.

Davit.
Good morning Red.

Yes, the train did take a long time but it is a work of love. Luckily I had a mostly side on photo to calculate measurement from. (CNR and CP railroad had different size driving wheels.) I spent a lot of time in the library because I only had a view from one side. My grandfather worked for 44 years for the CPR, most of it as a hogger (driver). He lived in the same town till he got to feeble (late 80s) and was the most peaceful man I ever knew. I get my love of steam anything from there. I could have been happy jockeying a steam train. (born in the wrong century)

I have two true friends who stood by me through my stays in the hospital for my broken leg and staph infection. They are Ok with the fact I'm a nut case (joke). One was a councillor for addicts and the other has a wife with alzeimers. The rest of the people I know fit the category: acquaintance. I live in a tiny community where people help each other even if they haven't the time. I try to do the same. "you reap what you sow". A lot of times we only meet in the grocery store.
All my so called friends from the other village I lived in are to busy to be bothered with me. 

I have developed this habit of letting people know I have an anxiety disorder. If they can't handle it then they can go away now rather than later. People have very mixed feeling about this. In the long run I think this will be good as the only ones that stick will be true.

Davit.
Davit,

Your train is beautiful. This must of taken a long time to build.  I look forward to seeing some of your other works of art. When you put a new picture up you can tell everyone something about it if you want to in your blog.  They might miss it in one of these posts. 

Red

Myth or Fact

I myself have not found that Family or friend are helpful.  I too find that in this busy world that you need a appointment to make contact with them.  "Family" For me that is once a year if I am lucky.  You need a appt just to drop off xmas gifts for gods sake. Friends I wouldn't know.  It seems to me that they turn out to be fair weather friends. They call and dump all their problems on you and give nothing back in return.   I do have one good friend  except my partner you has stuck with me through thick and thin these last 5 yrs.  When my husband was sick and dieing I was here all alone and only saw other people when we went to the va hosp for his Dr appt. he later became mute and I did not hear my name spoken for 2 yrs, later after he passed away the only contact I had with people was once a week at my grief group.  About a year later when I went on treatment for hepatitis C a gift from the war none of my family,friend or even church people offered to help me.  I talked to a Psychologist at that time and he said that I had been abandoned by my family and he was very worried about me doing this alone with no support system.  Luckily while out visiting the cementary I met my partner.  With out him I do not think I would be here today.  True friends are hard to find and if you have them love them and cherish them for you are truly blissed.

Red

Reading this thread: