Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,555 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

hello!

9 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Private,

I am so sorry to hear about the harrassment you have had to endure. Workplace bullying is such a difficult issue to deal with and it can greatly affect your mental health. Good for you for taking some time off to take care of yourself and for coming here to work on your health. 

You have come to the right place! We will be here to support you every step of the way. I look forward to reading more from you.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
New coping skill to stop or prevent panic attacks. The object of this exercise is to stop or replace anxious or panicky thoughts. It is based on, on average people can only use six thoughts at once before something gets dumped or not noticed. If you have six thought pertaining to an anxious thought or panic you will cycle round and round using those thoughts. CBT says to replace negative thoughts with positive but because every positive thought has a negative side you can go back to the negative thought too easy.  Stacking uses neutral thoughts, not related to the panic thought. Because they are neutral they have no negative side to go to. Don't use any neutral thought that might be related to the panic. I start with horses, and think different kinds of horses till I start to lose the first horse thought, Type, colour, smell, anything to do with horses. When my mind is loaded with horse thoughts I lump them all together and save them off to the side and do the same again with boats, and then flowers. By now trying to keep a cluster of horse thoughts and a cluster of boat thoughts in my mind has left no room for the panic thought and it has faded. If it tries to come back instantly go back to the first neutral cluster and open it to flood your mind with neutral thought and block the panicky thought. All this does is kick in the normal time limit on any thought. But it works. Juanita uses golf clubs, another person uses dogs to start. Anything will do as long as it is neutral and not related to the panic thought.
I call this stacking because that is what you are doing, stacking related thoughts on top of an unwanted one.
There is a technical reason why it works but isn't important. This is mental blocking verses Benzo's which is chemical blocking, without the side effects. If the panic thought was strong stacking will leave your mind a little fuzzy.

Davit

PS since this comes from me and I've never heard of it being used before I doubt it is on the net unless someone else thought it up too. All things are possible.
Rohit

CBT has two parts, behavioural. All the coping skills you are using now and cognitive.  Behavioural skills have to come first and be mastered before you attempt cognitive. Behavioural is coping, cognitive is cure. Cognitive is harder to do. Cognitive keeps you functioning in what your mind says is an appropriate way. I did not say the right way. Memory only knows appropriate. It does not know if it is right or wrong. Core beliefs are the decision makers. 
So now if you are ready to stop the cycling I will show you how and I will give you a new coping skill.
Cognitive is strictly about thought, coping should by now be automatic. 
Every thought passes through a survival control where your mind decides if it is dangerous and should be acted on. Then it passes on to memory for how to. Either dumped because it isn't important or passed on to be dealt with. Most thoughts are dumped unless important. The traffic in your peripheral vision, your co workers. Noise. Normal things that present no danger. Here is where the problem starts. If a thought gets this far it them asks memory what to do with it. Memory says you did this last time so this is appropriate. This is the action for this. The thought or action is performed and it goes back to memory as an update to appropriate even though it may and usually is the same thought or action it used. This is your one and only chance to change what your mind thinks is appropriate. These appropriates if done often become core beliefs so you don't consciously have to think what to do. They almost never go away. You can only move them to associated memory and replace them with one your mind thinks is appropriate and you think is right. You believing and thinking it is right is the glue that keeps it in use. See it too can be shuffled off to associated memory and the old core belief used. These times are set backs or cycling. What you want to do is not just cope as you do with behavioural skills but change how you think so you do not access the unwanted core belief, so you don't cycle. 
Because your mind thinks cycling is appropriate. It is important that you accept the old core belief when it happens and put it back rather than hide from it because that will teach your mind that it is not appropriate to use it. It can be as simple as saying "you're here again go away, you don't belong" remember every thought passes through memory and is used to update. The more often you do this the stronger becomes the update to memory.
So when you start to sweat, think this happened before but is not right and isn't important, it is just there. That is the thought you want to use next time and next time till you no longer do that or you do but it doesn't bother you. This is cognitive and works best with a behavioural skill at the same time, Hence full CBT not just either half. 
New coping skill in next post

Davit
9 years ago 0 162 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have not heard of pranayam.  What is it/what does it involve?  Yoga and meditation are good for anxiety, as is exercise.  
9 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
Thanks again for your good words.Fortunately I have got good job & I am quite happy about it.
I just want to discuss with you alternate therapies for depression nd anxiety cure.
Medicines has limitations and side effects.CBT with professional counsellor gives result for a short time.
But discussion with our near & dear ones like in family & with u too gives better result.
But more good results we have a technique -yoga & pranayam.Sudarshan Kriya is one of its form.
If it is practised consistently it has much better results.I have realised the effects.When I perform sudarshan kriya consistently,
my thoughts are quite controlled & I feel much better.But when cycle breaks then back to square one.
Deep breathing exercises is gud for cure of anxiety- and I have experiences it.But my problem some how or other my cycle
normally breaks.So there are setbacks.
Just google-Sudarshan Kriya,Shri Shri Ravi Shankar,India.
Share your views on ways of treatment of anxiety.

rohit131
There is a saying that the boss may not be right but the boss is still the boss. My attitude when I worked for people like that (twice) was that I don't work for the boss but for his money. He is just a means to an end. And unless the job is piece work, never give more than the job calls for or you will get more work dumped on you. The bottom line is that you are there for the money, any pleasure you derive from a job well done is yours and bonus. That they can not take from you. Unfortunately there are more workers than jobs so bosses can pick and choose and treat people bad. If you have a good job do it well and don't think about the bad jobs or those thoughts will ruin your good job. And above all, you are who you think you are and that is all that is important. 

Rohit, I'm glad to see you here and that you have a better job.
9 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Private,
I also suffer this kind of anxiety.I had been harased
by my boss so much in last job that I have to leave it.
My anxiety levels became very high during that period b/w
2011-2013.In 2013-2014 I took up a job of low profile
because in my previous job challannges are more & harrasment
by boss was very much.
I have again joined a good job where my boss is supportive.My
anxiety levels are quite less & almost normal.
How do cope up with such situations where bosses are strict?
I get very anxious in challanging situations.I just want to
fly out.If I face it I get very anxious & sweat on my body,shiver
hot flushes nd endless symptoms of anxiety.
Pl suggest.
Davit Pl suggest also.

rohit131

9 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Private and welcome,

Hoping things improve for you soon. 

9 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am working my way through the lessons. I have suffered from social anxiety since my earliest memory. Recently I have been off work on sick leave. I had my first and only panic attack the last day I worked. I have been targeted and harassed by a Supervisor. This has re-activated all my anxieties which had been tolerable..more of a general low level daily general anxiety.

Reading this thread: