Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,537 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

hello!

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gloria, how are you doing?
Please keep us posted on how things are going,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 341 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI Gloria, welcome:)
15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gloria and welcome.

The shortness of breath you mention is pretty common, and probably due to you chest breathing.

You can work out if you are chest breather by doing this exercise:

Either sit up straight, or preferrably, lie down.  Place one hand on your chest, and one hand on your stomach.
Don't focus on your breathing and just let your breathing stay natural as it was.  Watch your hands rise and fall.  What one is it that is rising the most?  If it is the top one, you are chest breathing.

Some people can change breathing when anxious - so it can help to be conscious of your breathing when you feel anxious.

You can practice stomach breathing so that when you feel yourself get anxious, you can make yourself breathe steady and from the stomach - this can help allieviate anxiety before it's gripped hold.

Again, welcome to the group.
15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gloria,

You can also try asking yourself the 10 questions to help challenge your thoughts. Next time you are feeling anxious ask yourself:
  1. What’s the evidence that the thought is true?
  2. What’s the evidence that the thought is not true?
  3. What is the worst possible thing that could happen and how would you cope if it did happen?
  4. What’s the best possible thing that could happen?
  5. What would most likely happen and how would you cope if that happened?
  6. What’s another way of thinking about this situation? What else could be going on?
  7. What would you tell a friend of yours if they were in this situation and had the same negative thought?
  8. What’s the effect of believing the negative thought?
  9. What would happen if you didn’t believe the negative thought?
  10. What are some alternative thoughts in this situation?
You may be surprised with some of the answers.

It's also good to keep a journal and track all of your symptoms, the length of time they were present, what brought them on, how they went away, etc. so you can start to understand your panic.

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

Welcome to the forums!

-Diva
15 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Pretty decent; thank you!

For some reason I've had a string of not terrible days. I was reading on someones post about how anxiety is like a cold and sometimes it just pops up, and sometimes dissapears for a while. I think that is what is happening recently.

15 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gloria,

Most symptoms spring up during times of anxiety so to test if they truly are related to anxiety or not, use your relaxation strategies to bring yourself out of your anxious state. If the symptoms disappear, likely you can chock it up to anxiety as oppose to disorders. 

That's just one way to challenge this type of thought.

Members,

Please add your strategies!

Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Gloria , just wondered how you are doing today ?

-CD

15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello and welcome here Gloria . Anxiety comes in lots of various forms for all of us . It certainly sounds like the symtons of axiety what you are discribing . They are very frightening indeed . I do reccommed talking to your doctor , i do this for piece of  mind . Now i know its anxiety i dont need to but was very frightened when it first started to happen .

I have certainly learnt alot here and find the people here lovely and friendly as i hope you do .

Hope to see you around CD

15 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,
My name is Gloria and I've been using this site for three weeks (I'm not that tech-savvy, so it's taken me this long to figure out how to post). Anyway, this weeks lesson is about talking yourself down from anxious thoughts. Most of my anxious thoughts are started by physical symptoms like difficulty breathing or those weird tingly sensations and I was wondering, how do you talk yourself out of things like that? I mean, there's no evidence for or against the fact that the difficulty breathing is caused by anxiety as opposed to some sort of disorder. I've been to the doctor a couple of times about it, but they haven't done any tests and just tell me I have anxiety and I feel like they are right but also like they could be just writing me off.

Thanks!
Gloria  

Reading this thread: