Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

What In the World Is Going On With Me?!

12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Motorgurl - Just a note to say that I was thinking about you and hoping that things are improving. 
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
motorgurl86

Ah, but do you know why you have setbacks?

Davit.
12 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Carmie and Ashley:)

Thank you both so much for your fast responses. I do currently use a therapist and I have called my doctor's office and I am waiting for him to return my call. Another odd thing is, I was actually reading the box breathing section right after I posted that. I have very good family and friends that I did end up calling. The attack got so severe because I was getting angry that it peaked into a major attack and now I'm too worn out for it to continue.

I have been making great progess in this program, and I realized after having the major attack that with any kind of progress, there will be set backs. Set backs are part of success and we learn more from our failures than we do with our success. Carmie, I love your dr's analogy of panic attacks to hiccups, because it is so true. They really don't feel harmless, but they are (aside from being emotionally damaging).

I am still recovering from that attack, but I feel a spark of hope again :) Ty for your support!

Motorgurl
12 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Motorgurl,

I'm sorry to read what a difficult time you have been having. The good news is that it can and will get better. If your doctor said you were completely healthy, have you considered going to speak to a therapist? A lot of members here do the program with the support of a therapist.  If you feel you do not want to see a therapist then continue to work on the program.  With continued effort you will start to see results. I know right now it doesn't seem like it will get better but it will.

What session of the program are you on?

Carmieslug offers some great advice and to add to it the box breathing can be found in the auxiliary session on relaxation techniques.

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi.  If it's helpful to you, I would like to that your symptoms do sound very similar to what I experienced in July.  This was before I saw my therapist and before I knew about this web site. I was so relieved to know that all of those symptoms can be brought on by anxiety.I know that it is an absolutely terrible way to feel. 
When I used to feel similarly, I found a music channel that played very relaxing music. I would sit and listen to that music and try to focus on my breathing.  You can search these forums or in the tool box for box breathing and for PMR. I think that both of those things can help.  I remember that thinking only about the present was helpful.  I chose not to think about the future - because that is where my worries existed - my panic was regarding things that might happen. 
Do you remember the anxious thought worksheets?  If possible, now might be a good time to examine and challenge your anxious thoughts.  It sounds like you have evidence that shows you are healthy (which is great!).  Use that as evidence against the anxious thoughts that you are having. 
One last thing that my therapist told me.   As horrible as anxiety feels, we should remember that panic attacks are not going to kill us.  They are very annoying and harmless. He likened them to the hiccups - symptoms that go away eventually.
I am so sorry that you had this experience.  Do you have a friend or family member that you can call?  I know that isn't always the case (I had attacks in the middle of the night) but hopefully you can find a good resource.  I was surprised to learn how many of my friends had experience with anxiety! 
Finally, I don't think it would hurt to call your doctor's office (if you have one) to ask questions about what you can and cannot take if the above CBT doesn't help.
Take care - I will be thinking of you and wishing you well.

12 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been doing so well and then last night I started having panick attacks that lasted all night into today. It started with some blurred vision and trouble consentrating. Then I went to bed and tried to sleep and still had the same problems even while sleeping. Then, I woke up this morning and the panic was still there and worsened as I drove to school and got to class. The attack continued and added muscle pains, tingling, dizzyness, feeling faint, nausea, and and over all feeling of loosing control. I had to leave school early and was afraid to drive home like this. I managed to drive myself home safely, and I am still sitting here, several hours later with this attack going on.

I live alone, and I am afraid to be alone because it feels like I am dying. My head just won't stop with the dizzyness and I can't focus. I don't want to take more Xanax because I do not want to become dependent on it. The pressure in my head is so intense that simply touching it, I can feel the pressure move. I just got over having the flu and had to miss work because of it. I can't calm down and the stress is piling up even more so because I can not get my body under control. Even the doctor I saw at the urgent care center near my house said that I am perfectly healthy after she checked my vitals, and I have researched other deseases and could only relate to panic disorder.

If it is only panic disorder, why are there some times where I can get things under control and other times where I just can't function (like now) and why do these attacks last for hours and even days straight when they are only supposed to last for up to an hour? I am in such misery. I don't know what to do right now and I am feeling so hopeless and useless. I want to tell myself that this will pass, but it's been over 12 hours and it's not passing. I can't keep living like this. I am on medication for it and I have 3 different types of doctors working with me to get this under control. I can't afford to run to the doctor right now because I am financially very broke. What do I do?

Reading this thread: