Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

difference between psychiatrist, psychologist ?

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CarnationsL

No one can put you on meds. Even people dying have the right to refuse medication. Doctors can recommend and prescribe but no one can force you to take them. You can not even be committed with out the opinion of two Psychiatrists.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks for the info.

i am hesitant to talk to someone about the anxiety, because i do not have
any money and my insurance covers little in that area.
i'm also worried to talk to someone because i don't just want to be
put on meds. i actually want to work towards getting a job again
and find out what is making me anxious.

13 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

I agree if you are using insurance to pay for part of the cost you might want to check with you insurance company.  My insurance covers 75%  and only for a certain amount of visits per year unless the Dr./psychologist states you need more visits.
The therapist has to have certain credentials and a collage degree for my insurance to cover.  Here in the U.S the Psychiatrists do not do therapy any more they only prescribe meds, then refer you to someone else for therapy. I contacted a Psychiatrist that I was seeing in the seventys in 2003 and he told me that it all changed here in the U.S. in the mid seventys with the advent of the HMO's.  When I under went treatment for liver disease I needed a Psych. evaluation before I could start treatment because the medication cancer drugs I would be taking had a high risk of suicide as a side effect plus extreme anxiety.  It took months for the Hospital to find me a Psychiatrist to ok me for treatment and the Dr. was not willing to give me therapy and could not find a available therapist.  So I had to wing it alone.  I do think being in therapy with a  Psychologist would have helped me a great deal.  I want to wish you luck in finding a therapist I think they can help a lot. I am not sure what kind to tell you to look for though.  If you want therapy dont't give up keep asking around and making phone calls.
I am so grateful that we have this program here to help us all.  It has really changed my life for the better.

Red

13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,
 When I asked my doctor about a therapist she gave me good advice..to check into my health insurance because some only cover certain designations...so I did, and sure enough  mine only covers a psychologist with a MD's referal, not therapists...both of  them charge anywhere between 90 &150 dollars an hour!!  I'm not rich!  Even at 80% coverage its alot to spend. So much for "universal healthcare".

Cleo
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Psychiatrists specialize more in diseases of the mind and can prescribe medication. Psychologists deal with conditions not diseases and can't prescribe meds they refer you to a psychiatrist if you need meds  or if they think you have a disease. Therapists are more specific than psychologists. Eg, trauma or drug abuse or work related stress or such. 

All are capable of dealing with Panic or anxiety. A therapist can recommend your doctor supply a class of drug but can not on there own prescribe it. For general panic conditions you usually only need a Therapist in conjunction with you GP doctor. This is how it works in my part of canada.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not sure carnations.

It depends on what that therapist specializes in.  In either case I would make sure that the therapist or psychologist you are looking into seeing has extensive experience with panic and anxiety.  You could talk to you a doctor about what he/she would recommend.  If you have a consultation with a therapist you could explain what you are looking for an ask when he/she suggests. Ask lots of questions and you will find the right person to talk to. Sometimes it's not so much the title that is important but the individual offering the service. 

Ashley, Health Educator
does this mean that if i just want to talk to someone about my anxiety, a counselor is what i'm looking for ?

13 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's a great question.

Let me see if I can answer your question as simply as possible.  Members feel free to add your thoughts.

A psychologist uses counseling techniques to help a client.  They basically talk to a client to try to address underlying issues.  A psychologist could use techniques like we have in this program (cognitive behaviour therapy).  A psychiatrist could also use these techniques but they can also prescribe medication and use other non talk related therapies like electric shock therapy.  A therapist is more broad ranging.  It can be anything from a homeopathic therapist to a counselor.  Someone with a masters in social work or counseling could provide therapy.  They generally would use talk therapy similar to psychologists, they may also address family issues and help their clients with problem solving, crisis resolution, referrals and so forth.

Ashley, Health Educator
i hesitate to talk to a pychiatrist or psychologist because it sounds like they determine if you are crazy or not and put you on drugs. i'd rather talk to a counselor (which sounds like someone who can help you with your fears, etc.)

confused.
   Hi,

I was wondering what is the difference between talking to
a psychiatrist, psychologist or a therapist ?

Thanks.

Reading this thread: