Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,545 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Exposure = Worse

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi NotMuch, Glad to hear you've gotten some extra help from your doctor. Keep us posted and let us know if there's any way we can help. Keep persevering, Danielle _______________________________ The PC Support Team
17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am thinking the problem is a bit more complicated than I thought.At ome time I can do the exposure just fine, not realizing that I had no body symptoms. The next time I have trouble, not realizing I am having sinus problems. It gets kind of tough to see the entire situation when you are in the middle of it. Most of the time the sinus trouble is so subtle that it is not noticed right away and it works in a subliminal manner. I have yet to lick the sinus trigger. I have no idea why sinus trouble is such a hard trigger. I have adopted a "shut up" or "why are you even thinking about that?" self talk and this is working very well during exposure. The key to this type of self talk is not to get into an argument and just stop thinking about "it" or think of something else. I spoke with my doctor and told him I can not do this alone, he has agreed to do 1/2 hour phone therapy sessions with me every two weeks or so. I will see how it goes. On another note, I did not know I could take a break. I am a bit rough on my self. I now take breaks.
17 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Was just wondering how thiings were going for you?Did you ever find a doctor?I know how frusterating it is to be able to do something fine for awhile then it falls apart again,just keep trying and go with it.It might help to visualize how you want it to go and think of the what ifs?For me it helps to say well what happenes if this or that happens?Well then it happens,so what if it happens it happens and will pass,I just can't run away from it or next time it will be worse.It does help to take a break in between at times,but you just have to keep at it.You have to learn to challenge it,and remember that if you can't do it that one time you can always try again and finally you will be able to do whatever though it may not be each and everytime.
17 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ! I hope that you are doing good. I think that it is not important how long from home you will walk. Because the fear is not out of your home but inside your mind. This is the reason why you could do it some time ago and now it is so hard. So dont be upset that you have trouble with doing such a small step. If you feel big anxiety that means it is a big step for you. But if you will peactise I belive that it will became easy for you to do every time. And this will be your BIG step. You will be ready to do another - maybe it will be no longer so hard. I hope you will get better. Milosz
So far I am in this alone, no one to help. I just do not understand why exposure to the same thing would increase anxiety, especially if I had no or little anxiety in the initial exposure. I am a bit baffled and frustrated. I will have to see if the yellow pages will find me a Doctor that will help me over the phone and not cost a fortune.
17 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Notmuch. The fact that you have made it there after a try or two is really encouraging. Way to go!! You do know what this means don't you? It means you CAN do it. Sure you get anxious and panicky but you did it. You shouldn't worry yourself about setbacks, you should be proud of yourself for the accomplishment you did make. Next time you try it, prepare yourself by taking some really deep, relaxing breaths, remind yourself that you did it once, you can do it again. If you want to just walk half way there, then just go halfway. Turn around, walk back home and congratulate yourself on that accomplishment. Go only as far as you feel comfortable...the next time go a few steps further. Its something you are just going to have to practice with and do repeatively. I use to be afraid of going more than a few miles from home by myself. A friend of mine worked with me (via cell phone) to get me to go a little further each time. He was always just a call away and I knew he could get to me quickly if I needed him. That sense of security really helped me alot. Do you have anyone that can spend some time helping you? It made all the difference in the world for me. Cheryl
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Notmuch, We at The Panic Center encourage you to, if possible, to get some professional help in planning your exposure work. Use the Panic Diary to help you assess the situation. Write down as much as you can and take a look with your doctor. You must challenge you anxiety. Once you are comfortable with your challenge, continue on and don't wait for the panic to set in. You are in control here and can always go back again. Let us know how we can help, Josie ______________________________ The Panic Center Support Team.
I am having real troubles with exposure work. I set simple goals like walking across the street to my friends house. I can do this just fine after a try or two. The problem is once I have done this particular task several times I get more and more anxious. I am basically haveing setback after setback, thus adding negative reinforcment to such a simple task. I do not understand why this little exposure attempt gets worse and worse instead of better and better each time. Sometimes it knocks me back to where I have trouble going down to the mailbox again, yeesh!

Reading this thread: