Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,781 Members

Please welcome our newest members: LBUELA, RBORBON, ATIQUI, A_Cyclist, Cecilia_EH

I have one nicotine lozenge left

16 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
well gang, It will be 72 hours at around 3pm today since I have had any NRT. Tuesday (48 hours) was the worst day..that was my crying day. The mornings are tough..my fresh ground coffee helps; but I have that restless, empty feeling...gosh that feeling is irritating. I have chewed alot of straws..I get those coffee stir straws from work. I have noticed that miniscule flakes of plastic seem to come off those straws after chewing them for a while. Then, I started on toothpicks and chewed them until I got little flecks of wood in my mouth! I think that I need to get to my peaceful zen place and just learn that I do not have to do anything with my mouth at all. I mean, nonsmokers do not have to chew on stuff all the time! Deep breathing helps. What an evil addiction! I hope that from here on out that empty feeling becomes less and less..distracton helps also. Everyone do what you need to do today to stay smoke free. new me [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/26/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 96 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,304 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $480.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
You are so right penquin, I think that I have put those same thoughts in a post recently. I do not know if I would have the strength to go through this again. That is a big motivating factor for me to not have one puff. We just cannot let ourselves get to that apethetic place, the rationalization place..."I can quit again; I'll have just one..or, I'll smoke until _____is over". No more of that. By the way, how would you know how long someone has been on the site? You must be a computer person! I know that I am so close to success..so close to becoming a comfortable ex smoker. It has been a looong two years! I am not going to go back again. You are almost to 50 days..that is wonderful. We will succeed this time. Thanks penquin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/26/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 95 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,280 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $475.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
16 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
New me I know that it seems like it's just too hard to bear sometimes, but here's my bit. What you are feeling right now is nothing compared to the pain of relapse....remember????? We have been around this site for a long time - there is a few of us. Can't think of what your other name(s) may have been..doesn't matter...what I know, and what keeps me quit right now, is that, I don't think I can do this again, and that thought scares me, really, really scares me. So I stay quit. This time I said to myself "no matter how long it takes, no matter how hard, I will stay quit". I don't get as discouraged when things take longer, or are harder, because I have no timeline. I am just letting things be, and not pressuring myself into being at some point at some time, or feeling in some space other than where I am right now. It will come, and if right now it seems like I can't think straight, have no motivation, can't start anything, can't finish anything, just plain old thinking 'what now'....so be it. It will get there when I get there. No turning back. You are just going around a corner to a new phase...there is a few more to come till you get to be comfortable....wait for it...be patient. What is good...takes time. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 920 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $529.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$330,765.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6033 Hours: 12

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 19

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

thank you elderone, You have really helped me refocus today. I am still weepy, but I will not smoke, and I will be thankful. I am going to read and let some more of my synapses wake up! thanks again. new me [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/26/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 94 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,256 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $470.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
16 years ago 0 1356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Unhooked, that is an awesome keeper post. wow. excellent job. :) this is why we love ya!! New Me - I saw positives daily and noted them - and rewards are so very important!! I am still rewarding myself :) Sue [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 117 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,170 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $204.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I made the transistion from quitter ex-smoker at around the 9 - 10 month mark. Now it's totally out of mind except when I'm thinking about helping someone quit. I sincerely wish I could tell you that you will feel normal in X amount of time, or on such-and-such a date. Alas, even I can't pull that one off (lol). All I can do is insure you that if you remain smoke free and focus on getting on with your life, it will happen someday. This is not a promise I make to you, but a promise you can make to yourself, and it is a promise you can keep. I see progress in your story: periods of no smoking, reduction of intake over time, that sort of thing. You are moving toward freedom, just moving a bit slower than some. And much quicker than many, as well. Don't forget that. Focus on the positive, new me. Here's a positive: You've roughly doubled your longest (now second-longest) quit. That is awesome. And it grows every day you do not light that one cigarette. Every time you feel the need for a cigarette is your opportunity to renew your committment to your personal freedom. Everytime you do not light a cig, you have renewed your promise to yourself. Everytime you renew your promise, the promise and you grow stronger. New me, you are creating a new you every day. Damage is healing, cells are rebuilding, brain synapses are reawakening. Recovery happens if you just let it. Focus on the new you, not the old one. Normal? What is normal? You will never feel normal again. The normal you are speaking of is how you felt when you smoked. You won't return to that again without smoking. You will create a new normal and you will have to learn what that means, how it feels. It will be better than the old normal, by far. ElderOne [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 827 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,540 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,919.98 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 150 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
I like that unhooked ..short term pain for long term gain. it has just been one of those hard days. But, elderone made me think back to my "last" hell week (I have had so many). I do feel much better than I did back then. I remember crying so hard my first week without cigs, buying a pack, and then calling my girlfriend to come over and get them from me. I was insane for cigs back then..yuk. So, I can see some progress. thanks for the encouragement. I am going to try and focus on the positive for the rest of the evening. new me [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/26/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 94 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,256 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $470.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
Hi elderone, The longest that I have been absolutely nicotine free was last august. I was off all nrt for about 1 1/2 months. My 22 year old daughter decided to move to New York City to pursue her degree in dance, we had a going away party in Sept., I smoked at that party. So, after smoking for a while again (i can't remember how long), I went back on NRT. Then, I relapsed again last Feb when i injured myself..smoked MUCH less..about ten a day. (That is actually all my body would let me smoke). Smoked for about 3 months, then went back on NRT on May 26th, my scc quit date. Have not had one puff since then and now, I have been nico free for 48 hours. I know that I have to give myself some time. I am a nico junkie, that is for sure..all strung out on nicotine! Thanks for the encouragement. I know it will be over in a while, and I also know if I went back to smoking, life would definitely suck. When did you start feeling totally normal, peaceful, etc without cigs? new me [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/26/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 94 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,256 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $470.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang tough, new me. You can do it, this hard part won't last forever but you will get a lifetime of freedom from it. The only way to NEVER crave again is to completely stop putting nicotine into your body, so it's short term pain for long term gain. Try something else for that "something in your mouth" feeling, hard candies or mints maybe? Also, new me, try to really notice & concentrate on positive things, like good smells (even yourself!), eat your favourite food & notice how much better it tastes. Do a load of wash & smell it right out of the dryer, burn a scented candle. Take a long walk & notice your increased stamina & lung capacity. It really is SO worth it & you are going to be so happy you did this! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 107 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,140 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,177.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
16 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
New me, I realize you have 94 days on your quit, but look at how you're feeling compared to people in their first 3 days cold turkey. Crying, anxious, restless. They all are symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. I'm curious what is the longest you've been nicotine free (no tobacco, no NRT) at any one time? (BTW, sniffing a pack doesn't count, lol) Quitting can suck, it can suck real bad. But it only sucks in the short term. In the long term smoking sucks way more. Don't focus on the present and how you feel. Focus on the future or on anything other than yourself. Oh, the phrase "naked as a jay bird"? I have no clue where it came from or exactly what it means, if there is a meaning beyond the apparent one. I learned it from my parents as a child and it's still here. :confuse: Hang in there, new me. You can do this. It really isn't as hard as it feels sometimes. There are many here who are proof of that. Follow us, okay? ElderOne [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 827 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,540 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,919.98 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 150 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57

Reading this thread: