Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

Coping Skill Ideas For A Specific Situation

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pretty hard to fight the "old boys club". I'm sorry to hear this, it just is not fair.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Teebs, 

He does whistle at the same time every day.  I couldn't find a white noise machine that has waterfall and rain forest sounds, but I did find an enviraScape relaxation fountain.  Mine has a Mariposa flower bloom on it and the water trickles down and makes a soothing sound.  I'm hoping it's enough to block out shrill whistles and I'm still on the look out for the waterfall sound machine.  He is violating our town's law.  The Sheriff told me if a person blows whistles or makes loud noises and it bothers 1 person in town, it is against the law.  The Sheriff talked to him, and found out he is a volunteer fireman.  So, apparently, he is above the law, because they won't enforce it.  So, I'm going to have to adjust my reaction to it. 

13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shari,

Does he normally do the training at the same times every day? If so, leaving your home to go somewhere else like a coffee shop as you suggested could be a good way to avoid dealing with the noise and the stress it causes you. You mentioned the police talked to him - did nothing come of that? It sounds like he might be violating some kind of noise ordinance laws. Information about your local laws should be pretty easy to find online.

Best of luck!
Teebs

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
Your cauliflower is beautiful. Thanks for posting a picture of your harvest.  I my self have been eating zucchini till its coming out my ears. I just gave it a little more fertilizer today now that it is slowing down.  My tomatoes are producing a very large crop now and are beautiful. 
Thanks for the tip on the nature tapes. This is a very positive idea that I am sure we could all use at one time or another when dealing noise and when we just need to relax..... 

Your friend,
Red

Shari,
Your decision to use the negative thoughts form to challenge your thinking about your neighbor situation is a great idea. With all of the ideas and support everyone has given you and working on the thoughts form, I am sure you will come up with a way to deal with this situation.  It may take some creative thinking but it can be done.  I am sure you can do it.

Wishing you luck,

Red
13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shari,

Great way to use the program and be pro-active!

Continue posting your thoughts and progress!

Josie, Health Educator
Shari

I have a lot of those forest and water sound tapes. I used them in the hospital with light headphones to get rid of the noise from the blower. They are very calming. Almost as good a tranquillizers. I hope your problem just blows away. Country is for peace not problems. I have very good neighbours.

Wishing you luck and the best
Davit. 
I have read the Resolving Disputes session and have thought about all of the ideas from this thread.  Davit, I love you.  You are my defender.  SIM,  You described the kind of person this guy is - exactly.  He is vengeful.  Our neighbor's dog, who barks all night, got a razor blade sandwich.  The dog was smart enough to bring the blade to his owner and was unharmed.  I know my neighbors and he is the first person that came to mind for that act.  Samantha, Reading the session helped clarify a few things.  What I've decided to do, that's best for me, is to focus on the positive.  He doesn't use the dummy launcher that sounds like a shot gun.  I'm going to use the Negative Thoughts Form and challenge my negative thinking about the situation.  I haven't forgotten you, Red.  I like the idea of getting away once in awhile.  If I can get up early enough, I could go to the local coffee shop and relax while he's blowing whistles for an hour every morning.  I was thinking about getting one of those white noise machines where you can play the soothing sounds of the ocean or rain forest.  If I turn it on while he's doing that, I may get an extra hour of sleep.  I truly appreciate all of you and your friendship and help with this situation.  I don't know what I would do without you.  I am glad you are my friends.  I am truly blessed. 
SIM

I just presumed all other recourse had been tried first. Your right but living in the country and having every thing from dogs chasing my cows to motorcycles in my hay field to arrogant hunters I feel you really have to get some ones attention some times. Nice people don't do these sort of things. So you have two choices, live with it and suffer, or do something about it. You will notice I didn't say shoot him and bury him or shoot his dogs. Just get his attention. Let him see what he is doing. Maybe a whistle would do. 

I'm glad you posted your opinion, Shari needs all the ideas they can get because this is going to be a tough one to deal with. I moved to the country to get away from this sort of thing and I pay a high price for my serenity and sanity.

Davit.
Dear SIM and Red, 

Bless you both for your concern and your posts also.  I feel better being able to "vent" and release the pressure a bit.  I'll let you know what happens.  I'm trying to handle my reaction to the situation and change my perspective.  Will keep in touch.  Thanks!
Samantha, 

I will definitely read resolving disputes and I will be happy to listen to all ideas before I do anything.  I don't want to escalate the situation into a more aggressive retaliation. 

Reading this thread: