Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

fear of flying and dying

15 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
going private means having to pay for it instead of going on the nhs. which means youll be seen quicker, have better treatment. crap a??? 
15 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Holy shnickeys, that doesn't seem too helpful of your doc...glad to see your going out and actively facing it though!  Your taking the right steps!

Out of curiosity, what do you mean "go private"?

my doctor was really un helpful, just wanted me to go on anti-depressants and put me on the list for councilling!!! AT LEAST A 6MONTH WAITNG LIST!!!  going to go private
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
karla,   It is important that you make these wishes clear to your doctor during your appointment. It could also be helpful that prior to your appointment, you make a list of all the questions and concerns you would like to talk about with him/her.  By becoming prepared for your appointment, you will be more likely to address everything you wanted to cover and leave feeling more accomplished and in control.
  Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes with your doctor!  

Sarah, Health Educator

i am going to book a doctor apointment tommorow. but i really dont want to go on any medication if im going to do this, i want to do it on my own with support from my family and friends. i have been on beta-blokers before and they made me so ill and down, my nan was on anti-depressants and she said she regrets it, what with the side affects. thanks for all the advice. 

any other advice welcome oor any other helpful tips if anyone has been through this before.

thanks

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CrabbyRoad,   Thanks for sharing your story, glad to hear therapy from your psychiatrist and your faith has helped you conquer your fears.    Karla,  I strongly encourage you to also seek help from a mental health professional who can help you with overcoming fears of flying and death.  Also speak to your doctor about treatment with mediction; many people with anxiety, panic disorders, or depression have found antidepressants helpful.      Karen, Health Educator
does anything else help? and does anyone else feel like this?? it wont go away and is making me feel so down!   just dont no what to do. it seems impossible. because for example if your scared of flying you dont have to do it but this is enevitable its going to happen. and yes i am scared of leaving my loved ones and being alone for eternity. i want to believe in heaven and its not that i dont but i just dont no what to imagine and theres no proof.
15 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Karla,

I experienced a fear of death to more of an abnormal extreme that you are experiencing early with my panic. Every one on this earth knows it will happen and does question how will it be? What comes after?, etc. Yes you are in a stage of it being in overdrive. Mine hit me once I had children, it gave me a sense of my own mortality which was frightening. I had two little ones who depended on me, what would they do without me. My treating psychiatrist at the time talked with me about it, I will admit, it pops up every now and again, especially if I'm feeling health anxieties greatly. My problem was I thought nobody could raise my children like me, be there for them like me, comfort them like me, but only ME, not even my husband. (And he was/is good as a father), I deep down just had this irrational fear that if I should die, my whole family would fall apart, and not be able function without me. I was putting this tremendous burden upon myself. Sure I would like to think oh please let me go when I'm old, quietly in my sleep, I want to see my children grow up, see them get married, see my grandchildren, maybe a few great grandchildren, etc but there are no guarantees. 

My stage was so bad, I got obsessed reading obituaries of people around my age, it plagued me, my doctor ordered that to stop. I couldn't watch episodes of tv like Life in the ER, it kept me sensitized too much. Sure I think out loud to myself even in a spiritual way, wondering 'Did Lazarus say to Jesus when he rose him from the dead say, I have been suffering, was at peace, and you bring me back? And I have to die a second time-what gives?'-Hey I'm human, I'm going to think of these things. Sure if would be easier if Jesus appeared to me and just told me face to face, or even a relative. But that is where faith has to come into play.

I will say, I started reading more and more of the bible, some chapters over and over, and new things would be revealed to me, that I didn't see before, and I even felt divine presence at times, validating the Lord was there.

i have used these thoughts and yes i do no its true because everyone is going to die, i truelly believe it is going to be awful when you die because you leave everyone you love, and care about and you dont no what is going to happen and im so scared of being alone forever and ever and ever. how does everyone else challenge these thoughts?? im only 22 and cant think of this for the rest of my life.

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Karla,   It is important to recognize that these thoughts are just obsessive thoughts.  Attempts to hold back your disturbing thoughts will actually make it seem more important.  As Breanne had suggested earlier, try challenging your anxious thoughts with some of these questions:   1. Is it "true"?
2. How do I know it’s true?
3. Is it 100% true? (remember something that is 75% or 99% true is  
    not 100% true)
4. What's the evidence for it being true?
5. What’s the evidence against it being true?
6. Has it ever happened before?
7. What's different now?
8. If it were true, how bad would it really be?
9. What's the worst thing that could happen?
10. If the worst thing happened, how bad would it really be?   For additional support, contact your physician, perhaps for a referral to a therapist.  There are many options available to help you overcome this.   Members, any strategies you have found helpful in challenging your fears?   Karen, Health Educator

Reading this thread: