Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,719 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ktktindy1, Julesy, grames, rainyjade, AJ8142

Quote of the day

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
People don't change their behavior unless it makes a difference for them to do so.
- Fran Tarkenton

This sounds to me like the saying that the pain of staying is greater than the pain of changing, at least as percieved by person.

What do others think
Sunny,
I think i was struggling without knowing my core values, so discernment is fuzzy
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi H:  I think it is a mixture of both.  If I want something and it fits into my core values - (why would I pursue something which is against my core values and make me very uncomfortable spiritually and emotionally) - then it is progress on my road in life.  

Sunny
Hi Sunny*,
Is it that you are making  your decision on your "core values"?  Those who know what they want are just following their core values, but we seem them following their objectives?

Davit,
A similar question is that maybe the postive and negative are relative or situational, since burning your toast, reframed, could be okay if you were saving your loved one from a burning house and rushing her outside? 

I have to apologize since I'm getting immersed in core value work.

Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.
- Denis Waitley

This inspires me to continue anywhere, since failure is just a bump on the road, or journey.  It used to be a big black hole that was too large for me to go around.
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

I suppose I do. A traumatic car accident or a death would be something to dwell on and that would be a positive because you are supposed to feel bad. But burning your toast and being mad all day and carrying it into all that days situations is a negative. Although feeling bad or even mad for a few minutes when you burn your toast is normal and would be a positive of sorts, especially if you can see the humour in it. 

Why do people see humour in "sit coms" yet not in themselves?

Davit.
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs:  I know what you mean about "how do I know if my attitude is real or true".  Well, I've think I've questioned myself about this too at times.  Always worrying about whether I make the right choice on my feelings/emotions which might colour my attitude.  I wish I had an answer.  Sometimes I just go for it when after reviewing things I figure I've got nothing to lose and something to gain.  Then my attitude is a positive one and my decision based on positive information.  It is sometimes so difficult when second-guessing myself.  I admire those who just "know what they want" and go for it.  I'm happy to say, I do have those moments too.  

Sunny
Davit,
Do you see negative and positives as just "relative"?

It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it.
- Arnold Toynbee

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

This is simple, negative experiences go round and round, replaying till you are sick of them. Positives get stored right away and you have to look for them. Positives seldom last much longer than the time they take to happen. 
A positive attitude allows you to find and enjoy the little good in the day without all the negative overshadowing it. It also allows you to turn bad situations into good so that they don't go round and round wasting your time. 
A negative attitude on the other hand allows you to see bad in every situation.

No one has a total positive attitude, bad situations effect everyone. A positive attitude just shortens the time they last.

Davit.
Our attitudes control our lives. Attitudes are a secret power working twenty-four hours a day, for good or bad. It is of paramount importance that we know how to harness and control this great force.
- Tom Bland

How do i know my attitude is real or true?
Failure is a detour, not a dead-end street.
- Zig Ziglar

I suppose we should enter this into our "navigation" device.

Reading this thread: