Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

New to the program..

14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
At times I can get through it just over the phone but most times I need someone with me. I cannot seem to understand it other than it is my fear of the fear of having an episode. I think the safe place or cow method could be a good thing to try, thank you for your idea. I will let you know how it works once I am able to stay home alone....
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi asio:  sorry to hear about what you ae going through right now.  I remember when I had a panic attack at home I would telephone my friend who was very understanding and she would talk to me until the panic subsided.  Maybe 15, 20 minutes.  Then i'd be so exhausted, I'd have a lie down.  Could you try that?  Sounds like you have great friends and they would understand.  You're lucky in that you have more than one to call, so as not to call the same one all the time. Maybe even have someone call you every hour just to check in.
 Another thing I've heard people use is a "safe" place at home.  Let's say it's a chair in the livingroom.  This will be the place where you do your breathing, relaxation exercises faithfully every day.  When the panic starts, you go to that chair and start deep breathing or whatever exercise you have chosen, and you begin to relax more quickly as this is the place that you associate with relaxation.  It's like the cow principle.  You know, how cows always go to their own stall for milking and feel comfortable and secure in their own stall.  Well, when your mind/body sit in that chair it will automatically relax too.  This needs some practice, not an overnight thing, but it works.  hope this gives you some helpful idea....

Luciana- Unforunately I did not stay home alone...and still have not.

I am feeling a lot better these days and have not had any "major episodes" and have been able to shop for Christmas and felt really good. The problem I am having is that I cannot do it alone. I have to have someone with me at all times. Every single day I have to have a plan for tomorrow and who I am going to have come "babysit" me (my choice word for this) and it is wearing me out and I am certain it is wearing out my poor friends too. I arrange to have someone take me to a friends after my kids leave for school and then my friend brings me home before they get home, all because I am fearful of a panic attack when I am home alone and driving by myself is simply out of the question. I have challenged myself a few times and done well for example going a few blocks to the Walgreens and back and have been successful without an attack and then I get excited and tell myself lets do this again and go a little further and everytime I get a rush of panic...thoughts of, you can't do this..what if you panic? Who will come pick me up on the side of the road? If I am on the side of the road  in a panic attack what if someone stops to help and I am emberassed? One time I pulled off onto the side of the freeway because I was shakking so bad and I couldn't get back onto the freeway so I drove (illegally I am sure) on the shoulder all the way to my exit...who does this???
Logically I know it is all in my head but how do I get past this? I am now jobless and gave myself Dec off to get help and try and get through this before I start looking for work but here I sit and worry about how in the world am I going to find a job when i cannot even drive to an interview? Whew...I wish Staples made an easy button for this....:)
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Welcome back Asio,

You said that today would have been your first day at home alone. Check back in with us and let us know how it went.

I look forward to hearing about it.

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have had some succesful days withought any "major episodes" ( as I like to refer to them as) With the holidays here I had to drive to family about 3.5 hours away and unfortunately had to rely on my "emergency pills" to get there and back even though I did not drive but I made it none the less.
I am a little anxious about tomorrow because it is my first day home alone in months. I am already thinking of back up plans and who can I call that can come be with me just in case...I am frustrated for feeling this way. I want to feel "normal" again.
thanks for your answer Josie.  I know that no one can predict when and where these thoughts will pop up.  It's the traumatic stuff which pops up like a flashback.  I thought I had dealt with it, that's what surprises me. Thanks for reminding me about journaling, I think I'll start and see if I get anything. Luckily it hasn't caused any panic attacks, but I've lost some sleep over some thoughts.
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There can be many triggers.  By using your journal and writing everyday, you can help pinpoint those areas that you can openly deal with.  By suppressing thoughts and emotions you have not dealt with the stress or situation, which is important to do. You may have not been capable of dealing with it before, but it is never to late to start.

Josie, Health Educator
Welcome, you will get lots of support here.

I have a question :  why do we sometimes feel as though our stories are about someone else and realize that, oh my gosh, that really happened to me.  Is it a way of protecting ourselves until we can deal with it?  I'm asking because of some things that happened to me when I was younger and sometimes when I think about it I realize the same thing - wait, this really did happen and it happened to me.  I thought I had dealt with some things, but they do pop up.  Maybe it's because I first dealt with them as a child, then as a young adult, and now it's popping up again at the next stage of life.  Maybe it's not so much dealing with it as seeing it from different points of view at different stages of our development?  I know post-traumatic stress syndrome can be part of this.  Anybody have any ideas?
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi asio

Yes you will and yes you will. Definitely the right attitude. With that attitude you can conquer the world. Good luck, were here for you.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 124 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi asio,

Welcome to the site, I'm glad you've found us. Sounds like you've been going through some pretty trying times. You have to put YOU first, take control of your life and get things back on track. Please continue to feel hopeful and always know that we are here to support you and we believe in you!

SIM

Reading this thread: