Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Not a setback but would love advice nonetheless!

17 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok, so my dad's party is over and I lived. All the advice you gave me helped. She wasn't perfectly nice but hey, I didn't expect it of her. But I managed to hold my own and leave there feeling ok. So all in all, I am really happy with myself. I got through my finals, and two birthday parties in one week and I am still doing well. All in all, I am really happy. Also, I have finally got enough time to start doing my therapy homework and my daily walks again and it feels great :) Anyway, thanks for your advice and support and cheering on it really helped! I wish you all a very good day :) -Diva
Thank you very much for the congratulations and the encouragement :) Means a lot to me :) I will let you know how it went when i come back from there :) -Diva
17 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
GREAT JOB!!! YOU DID IT!! Funny how things work out sometimes. Im so happy for you you made it threw!!!! (and with no head aches) GOOD LUCK on today im sure you will do just fine!! KEEP SMILING Gal
Well, the Saturday party went well. I did not panic and the restaurant did have food with no MSG (thanks on that for the advice, I finally had Chinese with no migraines yummy!). We left early because I was getting tired and my hubby has a real bad cold and wanted to come home too. But I got to make my stepdad happy and say happy b-day to his mom and I stayed there through supper so I am really happy with myself. I handled the strange location and the tons, and I mean tons, of people rather well and I am super happy with that. All the advice I got (the msg, the visualisation and breathing has really helped! So thank you very much for the great advice :) ) Now I have to morrow to deal with but I have an interference plan, a visualisation and breathing plan for preparing myself and I now have an exit plan. Plus, I will do some relaxation in the morning before I go visit the Land of Oz and meet with the witch lol. (Sorry about the Land of Oz talk but picturing her as somebody I could get rid of with a simple bucket of water makes me feel better haha). So anyway, once again thank you for the advice it really helped today and the party today turned out well and it made my family happy. And I feel, well not ready, but more ready for tomorrow too. I will keep you posted on how tomorrow goes. Later! -Diva
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva, You've gotten some great advice from you fellow members. In addition to the visualizations & running interference, have an exit strategy should things go south. You can also help to prepare yourself before the party by bringing those anxiety levels down, employing your relaxation techniques. You've overcome many challenges in the past few weeks, you can get through this too! Keep us posted. Danielle ______________________ The PC Support Team
Oh thanks, so it's the MSG huh? Well i will definetely make sure to ask! Thanks so much for the tip. That is one less thing to deal with lol. Hey and maybe if i find a chinese restaurant that doesn't use MSG i can start eating chineese again. Yum :) -Diva
17 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva: I don't have advice for the wicked witch of the west because my step mother has actually been trying to help. I can discuss things that if I discussed with my dad he would just say "you just need a good kick in the pants". Also my mum has been trying to help also but the major problem is that I don't live in the same city as them, I live about 400 miles away. So the only time I can get things off my chest is when I go home during a holiday weekend. But about the party on Saturday at the Chinese restaurant ask if they use MSG in their preperations, because I have the same thing when I eat Chinese I get a Major Migraine and since I have been asking for no MSG I don't get migraines anymore. Hopefully it works for you so then you can just concentrate in dealing with the anxiety. Hope everthing goes well!!! "B"
oh and gal thanks for the advice about the breathing and the visualisation :) That sounds like a great idea :) -Diva
Hmm that is a good idea actually, it would keep the peace and keep me in one pice emotionally. I could talk to my hubby and my big brother about running interference between me and her. That would make me feel safer. Thanks for the advice :) -Diva
17 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My first thought when I read your post Diva, was distance !! Could you engineer not to be alone with your stepmother ? Maybe be busy helping out, or chatting to others ? Have you told your partner how you feel about it ? Could he act as a buffer so she doesn't have the chance to use you as an emotional punch bag ? Step mothers, who needs them ??!! Do you have brothers or sisters who could have a word, or just help shield her from you for a while ? It may not be an ideal situation, but sometimes a little subterfuge doesn't do any harm !!!

Reading this thread: