Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Identify situations that put you at high-risk for a slip

16 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Winning the lottery and retiring on the beach??? Hmmm, I could see that working! But in the meantime, I am definitely staying away from smokers for a while. That's what got me into trouble in the first place. Hubby and I also play on a Friday night dart league, and to be honest, if I feel I can't handle the odd Friday, I'll stay home. There's no smoking in the building, but I can see everyone going out, and I KNOW where they're going. The good thing is, I don't have to stand outside and freeze my butt off! And plus, the smell of smoke is just clinging to them when they come back inside. YUCK. But hey, I guess we all had that "smoke" smell at one time. And that's one thing I don't miss. This is a great post, Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/27/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 50 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $17.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Identify: I found that work stresses me out. Solution: Win Lottery, retire on the beach. How's that?? ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 270 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,750 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $945.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 42 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Identify: I found that work stresses me out. Solution: Win Lottery, retire on the beach. How's that?? ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 270 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,750 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $945.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 42 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, Thank you so much for sharing all your great suggestions and advice! Patrick, just hang in there, focus on the positive and you'll be feeling great in no time. Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 1093 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well said, Aloha and absolutely right on. So much of it is how you choose to think about it. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 154 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,620 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $900.90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DL, From reading here, it seems that everybody's quit is unique. From quitters who say they still have cravings at one year, to quitters who say it was not so bad at all. I think most perople fall somewhere in between. Be thankful that this first week has not been so bad for you. Maybe it is because you prepared so well? Or that you are absolutely sure this time that you are not smoking anymore-ever! I read a post here lately that talked about the different kinds of triggers - the physical ones, the mental ones. Once you get through that initial period, whether it be one day, one week, one month, for most people the physical "crave" feeling has passed for the most part. Then, for however long, come the mental and emotional triggers, when you're in the midst of something and all of a sudden you are thinking, "Boy, a cigarette would be good right about now." But, once you understand that that thought is just that, a thought, and it is in response to doing something or reacting to something where in the past you would have smoked, it is easy to dismiss it and move on. If you choose to dwell on the thought, it has the chance of becoming bigger than it is, and then feel like a crave. A lot of the success we see on here, I think, is due to people getting their minds straight about this - smoking is not an option, it will not make anything better, and in most cases will make things worse. After the physical withdrawals have passed, the desire to smoke is a conditioned response to a hundred, thousand, million different situations. As you meet each of those situations, note them, and move on, you will feel more and more relaxed and confident in your quit. Not that some of these associations aren't stronger than others. It is just understanding that they will come and believing that you will get through each situation without smoking, that will carry you through. Or, in other words, Don't Worry, Be Happy. You ARE a non smoker now, enjoy it! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 310 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,400 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,108.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Patrick, sweetie, take a deep breath and relax, try not to Panic about that next crave, just try to take them as they get there and dont worry about that next one,one minute at a time OK. i use to say i will not smoke today ! and i will worry about tomorrow when it gets here,live in this minute, have a great day your doing good :) Tresa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1997 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,940 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,989.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 285 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
  • Quit Meter

$14,573.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 688 Hours: 10

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Tresa... I'm on my guard and I'm still scared and not confident about this stop-smoking thing being easy at all... I guess I was just curious whether or not some quitters had experienced this Hell Week thing as "not so bad" and was that a disguise for "hard" attacks of cravings to come? And you're right.. I have no leeway in either age or lung capacity to fall off the wagon at all. Maybe that's why I've not been so scared by the cravings during Hell Week - I just can't go back and the realization has hit me Big Time since I quit. That knowledge and understanding has negated the 'possibility' of going back... Thanks for the reminder Patrick [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/17/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $101.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Patrick Unhooked will be here to answer you but iam gonna toss in a few things myself, You need to stay on guard!! those little craves i always called naggings, they will make you crazy but are apart of the quit, i always welcomed the big ones as to those pesty lil things.You are not out of the woods yet, stay focused, keep reading, have you been over to read some of the success stories, i had a real hard time with the quit, i was not one of those it was esay for, we all ride the same roller coasters and the same boats so keep reading, you are doing well, besides having that Emphysema you need to stay quit, you really do :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1997 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,940 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,989.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 285 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
  • Quit Meter

$14,573.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 688 Hours: 10

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Unhooked, that's a great tactic when a craving is lingering on and on... I'm curious to know just how long does it take to get 5 responses after you post a HELP notice??? I know that I always turn to the SSC site when I get the heebie-jeebies and just read, read, read...waiting for support responses really would seal the determination not to give in/fail in resolve. What's worrying me is that during the last week I've not really had such awful cravings - just little ones which I dismiss from my mind easily enough - now, I'm wondering will I get past this strange 'grace period' and be attacked with even more horrific cravings??? I'm sort-of afraid that the penny hasn't dropped for me and I don't get it... I read about how Hellish Hell Week is for most but I can look back right now and say...'that just wasn't that bad' - is this effect to do with the amount of fear I had that I was near full-blown emphysema when I finally decided to quit after fifty yrs of smoking??? Or is it that I have the same rough cravings as everybody else but I'm just not as phased as them ( everybody reacts differently) ??? You've been through a really rough time during your journey out of smoke (I read in your early posts) so I am asking you if this makes sense to you? Patrick [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/17/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $101.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0

Reading this thread: