Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,784 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA, RBORBON

The 8th Day of Freedom

17 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats to you as well for 11 days.
Hi, I just quit smoking and I'm on my 8th day. This is the third time in my life I have quit smoking. I hope this will now be the last time I have to do so. I'm 44 years old. The first time I quit was when I was 27 years old and it lasted for 5 years. The second time I was 37 and it only lasted one year. The biggest reason for quitting this time is not only for health reasons but the fact that I have a 6 year old son and a newborn son that was born a month ago. I'm afraid if I don't, I will not be around to see them grow. My father was 54 years old when he died of lung cancer. If I were to die at the same age as my father my sons would only be 16 and 10. I really want to see them grow and I know if I continue to smoke, chances are I will not. I'm glad to see that there are support groups on the net. Hopefully I can not only help someone else who has decided to quit, but maybe this time I will not make the same mistakes because I'll have others to share my concerns and of course dealing with the cravings. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 168 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $24.56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
Marie and Sunflower, You're right... It's much easier to go somewhere now and not have to plan when and how I'm going to fit a cigarette in somewhere. It's always been hard to be around my wife's family because no one smokes in her family. I always had to sneak out and have one, but I know they could smell it on my clothes etc. It's nice now to put on some after-shave/cologne in the morning and have someone comment to you in the afternoon how nice you smell. Beats the heck out of someone turning their head away from you after you just put one out. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 170 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $24.56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
See you just joined and you are already ahead of me. You are off to a great start! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 91 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $21 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to SCC Darrell. You have picked a good place to come. We have the same quit date but you have two extra Important reasons to quit. This withdrawal part is hell...but Marie...you are smart. It will be so nice not to have to deal with withdrawal every time I'm at a wedding, shopping trip, family function!! It's getting colder out there and I won't miss those miserable trips outside in a snowstorm! I hope we see lots more of you Darrell. Keep posting! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 178 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Darrell. You have two great reasons to quit. Your sons. Take this journey one day at a time. There are a lot of great people here who will support you along the way. And a lot of us who are going through the same thing as you. Good luck to you! Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 251 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $72 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 227 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wow you are not only taking care of yourself but your family, I wish there where more fathers like you out there. keep it up and it does get better. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 821 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $127.36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$163,681.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6110 Hours: 15

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 744 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Darrell, First of all, congratulations on your quit. 8 days now. that's great! You've come to the right place for information to help you in your quit. The best thing here is the genuine support you will get, so keep us informed on how you're doing. We'll be here for you. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 64 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 515 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $240 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's so nice to go to places or events and not have to think about when I can sneak out and have a cigarette! That's the best I think also, it was so awful being in withdrawals all the time at social functions. FREEDOM :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 98 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,478 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $392 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Darrell f congratulations on 8 days smoke free. Work the tools on the left read a lot on this site and post. You can do it one day at a time :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 98 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,476 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $392 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44

Reading this thread: