Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,784 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA, RBORBON

I Set My Mind Against The Tide

17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:gasp: Nonic, your poem took my breath away. Thankyou for the inspiration. Pat
  • Quit Meter

$122,092.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 972 Hours: 11

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 292 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
nonic, Your poem is beautiful! You have talent, to be sure. (Ever been to writing.com? If not, you should check it out!) Anyway, I felt compelled to make a graphic to go with your poem. I looked at a LOT of "sailing" photos before picking this one... I like to think those other boats out there are the rest of us, sailing along beside you. :) Again, I very much enjoyed your poem. Well done! [img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/sammijofl/setmymind.jpg[/img]
17 years ago 0 65 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
AWESOME POEM!!!! I PRINTED IT OFF, DID YOU WRITE IT?? SLIVERS [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 54 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
SammiJoFL Thank you so much for the graphic and the kind words...I really liked the one you chose (the graphic and the words)...I do hope that you are making it through this thing ok. Its a very difficult battle for everyone. I know it is for me, but I am determined to do this...I have a very strong sense that I am not only in the process of protecting my health, but also readjusting the way that my inner world connects to the external world. So much of my habit has been of a self destructive nature that I am not only giving up a poison I am at the same time beginning to except and appreciate the person that I am. Good luck on your journey, it is well worth the fight. I hope you find many wonderful and interesting things on your way to that strange world of the non-smoker. nonic
Pat Thank you for the kind words...I am glad that you have the breath to be taken away, must be a result of all this quitting going on... nonic
Danielle: Thank you for your reply...I can't tell you how glad I am that this site is here. I find the information to be solid and reading the posts is very beneficial for me... Thanks for being here nonic
You bet Rusty This is one tough substance abuse problem...the only way to make it for me is from the bottom of my soul out... Thanks for all your help nonic
[center]I Set My Mind Against The Tide[/center] I set my mind against the tide, as a sailor sets a sail straight into a westward wind, that soon became a gale. The harbor lights were far behind, when the sky bled blue to gray. The chop was fine and coming fast and my boat began to sway. Broadside and true she took each wave and fell to meet the next. The troughs were deep the angles steep my thoughts were dark and vexed. And in that hour the taunting came, from deep within the storm. Derision scorn and vile blame, took endless ghostly form. Loathing lingered on the deck as doubt engulfed the mast. And from the east, a tiny speck flew toward me from the past. Larger loomed this bird of prey in silence loud and clear. With stealth and guile it ruled the day for this was cold dark fear. Fear stretched out a deadly claw and danced with doubt and scorn around the sail I�d bravely set they mocked the oath I�d sworn. The bitter wind grew stronger still as hopelessness appeared and played a mournful melody for doubt and scorn and fear. �Come join the dance� the storm intoned I know you know the steps. �I�ll bring you peace� the wind exclaimed �with one more cigarette.� But just between the flash and fade the lightning wind and storm were all inventions I had made while I was busy being born. For I have lost a lover who would kill me where I stand but found a better friend in me cause I know who I am. I set my mind against the tide as a sailor sets a sail� I set my mind against the tide As a sailor sets a sail�.. I set my mind against the tide as a sailor sets a sail�. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 664 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $189 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
Rusty They really shouldn't look at you strangely. I know that you know what this is, but anyone who has never given their selves over to this can not ever understand the power this thing has. For me it is all about the fact that I have managed to attatch my self to the outside world through a thin blue haze. I am going through a process now of merging my internal world with the reality of the external world without the umbilical of a rolled up weed...Its tough (I don't have to tell you that) because from now on I am saying ok world bring it on...I am one tough sob and I really like who I am. Nonic
Slivers: Thank you for your kind words...yes I did write it...It is part of what I do to beat this thing...I throw myself into describing what I am feeling and hope that maybe someone out there will catch a fimilar image that they can use to help themselves get further down the path...Glad you like it... stay close to yourself in this thing and watch how it goes minute by minute and you will find the strength to undo all of the damage this thing has done for so many years... Stay strong Nonic

Reading this thread: