Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Second Guessing my actions

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
windsybarbie,

Thank you for keeping us updated on your own experiences. It really sounds like what has happened recently at work has had a huge effect on you.

Although it may have been hard for you to do, please know that you did the right thing by talking to your employer about these incidents. As you mentioned in your post, it can be troublesome if you chose not to report what you saw. For most family services or home care agencies, if an investigation occurs, those that did not choose to report may face further repercussions. Keep in mind that regardless of the outcome, there was no harm in reporting.

Let us know how it goes next week for you at work. Be well.

Sarah, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi There:

This is windsybarbie, I hope everyone is doing fine.  Since the last time I posted, so much has happened.
I have worked for a company since Jan 07, and I was a supervisor last year from Sept-Dec, and resigned
because of my health.  Now I have to resign for next year, because of the conflicts of my present employer,
high school I work for and this company.  Now my principal is involved and I have alerted famliy services
and I am questioning if this was the right thing to do.

This year I was working 1-2 days a week, and they were using our classroom after class hours.  The problem
is there were things that I believe were unsafe for the participants.  Eg: Alchohol involved, and my students
with cognitive disabilities pushing wheelchairs prone to seizures.  There were alot of program issues that should not have happened, and my co workers at the school are saying " I can't beleive they do .......when caregivers are around and watch movies and not go outside or do anything, they just ignore the participants and talk among them etc.....

I just completed a 2 day Non violent course by Family Services and the instructor mentioned if you notice
something that is affecting the client's care, welfare, safety and security you should speak up.  If you don't
and there is an investigation you can be investigated and questioned why you never said anything. No one
wanted to get involved and have advised me not to say anything but I can't do that morally and live
with myself if something serious did occur. 

The participants are vulnerable people and I went to the instructor who advised me to speak to my employer
at Family Services.  I had a letter I showed her quickly and she advised me they were mostly program planning
issues and the manager of the program should be informed. However I did mention names and I don't know if
they will do anything or wait until the company contacts them. Also I have to work with the fsh worker for 6
weeks and she has known me for over 10 years, as she calls me every year to work.  However now I wonder
if she will hire me every summer for this program because I reported something that should not be reported.

I have a call into the manager but now I am questioning my actions.  I only did this b/c I am an educational assistant and I work with these students. I have passion for people I work with and they deserve more than stay on a couch for 3 hours and watch movies they don't understand. In my heart this is the right thing to do.

There are many other instances, and now I am going to wait until she calls and not give her anything in writing. 
This manager just took over this program when the other manager was fired in March for many instances.
 Now it is up to her and I want to tell her verbally, and I would really like a confirmation that I did the right
thing and it not LABELED a trouble maker.  I would really like to work for this company again
if the supervisory staff was different and the way the program is run etc....

Another incident occured and the supervisor knew I was very angry and hurt and I am not sure what he
told her about the situation or me.  The manager was alledged to say "Why can't she drop it, it happened
so what, go on.  It was about this employer being told I was the person who complained of her breath
and it was other people.  This company had not right to tell the emplo

Reading this thread: