Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Social Anxiety - Part IV

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My social anxiety shows up as gastrointestinal problems, making my social anxiety worse and making me seem more distant to those around me.  Always wondering if I should dart to the restroom is a real killer in social situations and does not allow me to concentrate on other aspects of being social. 

Trembling is also a problem.  I can usually overcome it at work.  In healthcare there's a large amount of touching another individual and I myself am not really a "touchy, feelie" type of person.  I get over it by knowing my job and understanding that what I must do is necessary.  When I notice that I'm trembling and need do something like remove sutures I blame too much caffine and then go on.  This doesn't work at dinners.  Finding that you tremble when you bring the water glass up is again a killer tomy social skills.  I end up drinking alcohol to compensate, I begin to feel more relaxed.  Like Daily Llama if I don't have at least a drink I also end up with a massive headache.  With a drink it's 50/50. 

I let others pick the topic of conversation and only add if I have something meaningful to say. I find that I am able to converse about most things with people.  If it's something I am not familiar with I try to ask questions related to the topic at hand.  If it's something that I have no interest in at all I stay silent and hope for a subject change. 

I must say Daily Llama that some of your topics do sound interesting.  I like criminal psychology, forensic investigation and such, but I doubt that it would make good dinner conversation.  The Holocaust would not be an enjoyable topic for me, and likely not many other people you meet.  It was a horrible horrible historical event and not a discussion I'd like to have at a party.   Great restaurants and wines, poetry, 19th & 20th century novels and clay pigeon shooting are likely more party conversations.  I happen to like lighthouses and lighthouse history.  It doesn't come up at parties either.

In the end most people stick to common things that most people know about, like footballand cars.  You don't sound like a guy who would be interested in such.  But to an enthusiast there is beauty in those things also.  I've learned that a pass to a receiver and the subsequent catch can be a thing of perfection.  The lines of a beautifully restored car is also beautiful.  I participate in these things because many are interested in them.  But I have my own passions that may not be party conversations and that's ok, they're still me.
Mom of 3

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
   When I was younger I had to force myself to keep my eyes at the eye-level of others instead of cast down or off to one side.... It was so embarrasing for me to meet new people at a party or a pub that I would guzzle liquor to get the Dutch courage to stand there and smile and throw in a few comments...  My shoulders would get stiff if there were no drinks available and I'd probably end up with exhaustion and a massive headache... a lot of that anxiety stemmed from the fear of being trapped in a boring conversation with a boring person and then that notion spreading to myself and "what if I'm the boring, tedious a**h**e"?!!!

It's years later now, and, by the time I hit 40 yrs old I had been a teacher and a business man  for a long time and I had a handle on social meetings by adopting the teacher/business approach in my mind and giving it a twist so that I was at ease and listening and participating with patience and tolerance. Now I say "Tant pis" if people don't find my conversation interesting... it doesn't crush me like it might have done years ago...

I learned to keep my mouth shut when I had nothing to say or had the inclination to be contradictory and argumentative.  I'm still waiting to hear an interesting talk about football or cars ... not my thing. But then I can be a bore about clay pigeon shooting, or poetry or criminal psychology or the 19th & 20th Century novel in English Lit.; about meals in great restaurants and wines from Bordeaux and Burgundy...  I mean, who wants to chat about genocide and the Holocaust? I do - but it's just not a normal topic in general conversation... In fact it's a great conversation killer!

Different strokes....
P
15 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

The physical symptoms of Social Anxiety Disorder can include: 

• Blushing
  • Sweating
  • Shaking or Trembling
  • Feelings of Choking
  • Nausea
  • Other Gastrointestinal Symptoms
  • Freezing