Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Empowerment

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Sunny has the idea by making an analogy from teaching to parenting. I would cite  two challenges. One concern is that it assumes that the parents can teach, but the reality is that anyone can become a parent. The other obstacle is that the child has to be blessed and not have a learning challenge like anxiety.

It’s easier to  empower ourselves if we don’t suffer from anxiety or another mental disorder. The average person can approach life as a student from birth, given the opportunities, and become a leader of the free world, if she wishes.   It’s so inspiring when successful people come forward and volunteer their struggles so I can persevere during a difficult day!

Given the condtions we members on this site grapple with, we need support and close coaching to master the tangible skills of learning to navigate danger and anxiety. Edrita Fried describes the measureable skill as “...a triad of techniques for dealing with danger: (1) danger- spotting, (2) danger diagnosis, (3) danger fighting...” in her book “Active Passive”.

12 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi hugs4U,

Great insight... there is definitely a nuance between helping and empowering.

Would you say that we are able to empower ourselves? If so, how? If not, what makes it the case that empowerment can be more easily brought about by others?

Sonia
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs:  This reminds me of the "teach a man to fish and he'll never go hungry" thinking.  

In a way that's what we try and do with our children as they grow into adulthood.  Kind of point them in the right direction, but they have to do the work and figure it out for themselves.  It's hard to let go sometimes, we hate to see them struggle, but we have to let them make their choices.

Sunny
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wonder if members ever notice the subtle difference between someone "helping" versus empowering you?

My brother rarely directly helps, and points out of the value of learning to be independent.  I just broke my cellphone, so I'm afraid I might lose the contacts.  Those contacts are time consuming to input again.  I researched how to copy all the contacts, and it was 3 easy steps! 

Can't wait to buy my new cellphone.  More importantly, I learned the value of being independent, and how I forget that I can get things done if I wish.

Reading this thread: