Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Stages of Change

14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jenn,
That's pretty much what happened to me, "staying inside, having no life and no friends". 
But after a while, I've come to realize that this is another lifestyle so, I believe I do have a life still. But yes, I stay inside and I've given up most of my 'friends'. What happened to me was that I was juggling my life, my ex's life, and my friends' lives, during the first onset of my anxiety. I was always in a rush and felt responsible for everything and everyone.. so I took care of it all, until my body really stopped me with anxiety. Now I've let go of everything, doing the thing that I've feared most (being alone) and have focused on what I want. It will be 4 years now since I first had anxiety, feeling like I'm going to die, divorce, ending friendships, on and off meds (Lexapro).... and maybe I am ambivalent about change now (my stage of change may be contemplation). I try to take advantage of this time as much as possible, when I feel up for it. The thing I do with my anxiety is I try to understand it, I ask why it's happening and why it maybe caused.. I try to talk to the demon. I also get anxious when I'm hot and overwhelmed too, and lately, I get it when I'm eating dinner with the whole family as we watch TV,  whenever I'm out in public

14 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, aww i just typed a whole massive messgae and it just disappeared! 
Well my anxiety attacks started about 3 years ago when i thought i was going to die, since then they have just devloped and i can get them over anything or anyone who is close to me at the time.
They got so bad that i the doctor put me on citolpram last year as it was really effecting my life i pushed everyone away my friends, family and boyfriend who i had only just met!  everything settled down for a few months but then whilst on oliday i had the worst attack of my life and it took me 3 days to get over it and that attack has haunted me ever since!  we were on holiday me and my boyfriend and we was out clubing in turkey i suddenly had a woss of fear and i just lost it i just wanted to go home and get away! this last for days! after this everythign settled again however over xmas they started up again! i decided i had enough i was going to let this rule my life i came off the drugs becasue they didnt help. Since then i have had some attacks but they are settling down for example my housemate decided she wanted a party at our house whilst we was away i completely flipped it took me 2 days to get over it! i get attacks when am hot, unwell or feeling overwhell, or if i have no control over a situation!  the last few days i have been loads better me and my boyfriend are really happy and going on adventures again such as holidays and days away and am looking forward to the furture! what do u have anxietys about? how long u had them? do u have any advice on how to over coome then! am not letting these control my life, if the demon (anxiety) had its own way i would be living at home staying inside and having no life and no friends! xxx

14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Jenn,
Nice to meet you.
In what ways do you get your anxiety? 

14 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi my names jenn,
am new to all this but am finding improvements in my thoughts and the way am coping! The best improvement is that i used to have attacks about my boyfriend even tho i love him so much! it was ruining my life! however i have noticd that i ave attacks about loads of other stuff and this makes me feel so much happier as now i realise its nothing to do with him! this is a life saver! if anyone can relate please message me back
thanks xxx
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

People are sometimes ambivalent about changing, as there may be losses as well as gains.

Make a list of the advantages and disadvantages of changing, so you can, with a clear head, evaluate if you really want to change. Many people pass through a set of stages in the process of change:

Pre-contemplation, in which they aren’t thinking of change
Contemplation, in which they think of change in the next six months
Preparation, in which they plan change within the month
Action, speaks for itself,
Maintenance, in which they cope with errors in order to maintain their change.

Samantha, Bilingual Health Educator 

Reading this thread: