Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Smile....and don't shoot the messenger

Timbo637

2024-09-27 3:17 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Depression Community

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.765 posts in 47.065 threads.

161,092 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BazzViol, TGee, A-n-o-n, qwe, tlr

Complimentary Therapies

15 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I already mentioned this on the medication topic so sorry if I am repeating myself. I have heard of this use for omega-3s. My wife gave them a try and she is much better. However, I can't say how much was from her meds and how much came from using omegas. I think that they will take quite a long while to work. I have read that for inflammation they take about 2-3 months to be very effective. But after that time they are as effective as NSAIDs. So if this applies to depression then it might take about 2-3 months for you to experience real benefits.
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anyone heard of Omega-3^ For mood?
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 I used my Bachs for a few months , well i did buy a rather large bottle and wasnt wasting it !! I cant really say that it helped me whats-so-ever . Kids loved it as well lol .
15 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I use Bach's remedy every day.  I find it does not help with a full blown panick attack, but for daily calm I find it works (even if it's a placebo I am good with that, but it makes my mind think it's working...LOL) St. John's Wart I have found is also useful, I don't use it all the time but sometimes for sleeping it helps.  Yoga definitely helps with the relaxation (I am better at a class than at home though, and it's only once a week).
The food you eat can have a big impact on anxiety from what I have read, the challenge for me is that when I am anxious or panicky I cannot eat, and therefore the cycle begins because I am not getting the nutrients I need or I just eat something fast which is usually the wrong thing, so it's a catch 22....
15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've tried the Bach herbal remedies and can report little gain from them.

Apparently certain plant extracts are placed in spring water and left to ferment, and then the water is put into a grape alcohol concentrate and sold as Bachs.

Scientific testing showed no trace of any of the herbal extracts...

I'm not really sold on it.

Camomile tea helps me.  I love it.
Although, it is an acquired taste.

15 years ago 0 138 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
in terms of herbal remedies,  valerian root and skullcap in teas are nice relaxants.

I use a variety of aroma therapy essential oils in the bath or vapourizer/incense

I attended an expo of mental health alternative therapies,  included art therapy, music therapy and yoga therapy.  All of which I have tried and gained some benefit from.  They also had a naturopathic doctor on hand.  I may approach such a practitioner early next year to see what benefits can be derived.

Other people talk about Bach flower remedies, associated with homeopathy.  Don't have any direct experience with that but it is a whole recognized field of alternative medicine as well.

I am not keen on acupuncture but appreciate shiatsu/accupressure.  There is also a whole realm of Qi Gong that deals with healing but I've yet to find a local practitioner.
15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Everyday new gimmicks & therapies are becoming available for those who have a mood disorder. Although the following can not replace the traditional combination of medication & therapy, they can be very helpful. Here are the best out on the market thus far:
  •  

St. John’s Wort: An herb that is currently being extensively studied. Although it has shown positive effects on those with mild to moderate depression, it does also interact with a long list of prescription drugs. Proceed with caution & in consultation with your prescribing MD.
  • SAM-e: A molecule that naturally occurs in the cells of plants and animals. It has shown great promise when used as an antidepressant but it shouldn’t be used in combination with other antidepressants and your serotonin levels may need to be monitored. It can also be expensive.

What has your experience been with alternative/complimentary therapies?

Reading this thread: