Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,514 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Starting Tai Chi

15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Jamie,

I am glad to see you had a good experience with Tai-Chi! And two hours of being more relaxed feels so great. So kudos to you! And keep us updated of your progress!
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jamie,

Great to see that you had a positive experience with Tai Chi! Hopefully you will keep at it in order to reap the benefits both physically and emotionally.

You must feel great knowing it distracted you from the anxiety for 2 hours - that's brilliant!

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys,

I was pretty nervous when i got there to begin the class thinking i would be rubbish, but pretty soon i felt at ease because i realised that there were others who were worse than me and they had been going for longer! I guess its one of those things that you have to take at your own pace and practice a lot. It can be very demanding on the legs but i found this was a good thing, because i felt tired for once- usually i am wired and on edge even at nightime so the tiredness in the leg muscles was welcome!

In all, i thought it was worth going to- i am not at the stage yet where i know what i am doing, so it would not be right for me to comment on Tai Chi's ability to help with anxiety (though i did feel more relaxed while i was at the class) and i think it will start to have more of an effect the more i practice. The best thing about it was actually starting something new and having that feeling of discovery. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an outlet or something new. Took my mind off anxiety for a good 2 hours (this is a long time for me!).

Jamie
15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

hey jamie

how did the tai chi go? i have often thought about soing this but as per uual i never get round to it?

karla 

15 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Ya Jamie:

I took Taoist Tai Chi and just loved it, I find it focuses and calms my mind.  I have tried other forms of meditation such as visualization, diaphragmatic breathing and others but Tai Chi really worked for me.

By the way another form of meditation is Yoga, until my operation this year I was practicing Hatha Yoga and found it also focuses and calms the mind,
15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I did Tai Chi in college and it was very nice. I think it is a great idea! Let us know how it goes.
15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great idea!

Please let us know how it goes, this is a great stress releaser and relaxation technique!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone, im starting Tai Chi lessons tonight, to be honest i cant wait to go, although i am a little nervous. Was just wondering if anyone had seen improvement in mind/body after doing Tai Chi, it was just a personal hunch that it might be a good idea (seems slow and mentally absorbing).

I will let you all know how it goes!

Jamie

Reading this thread: