Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

Morning Anxiety Is The Worst

14 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also have this morning anxiety and it makes me so nauseated and sick feeling.
it usuallyy wanes if i keep busy and take a xannax
i started celexa 8 days ago and so far not much improvement but i guess ssri's take a while to work.

14 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Faryal, and everyone,

Thank you for your reply. I know most of you have all felt this or heard it from someone, but yeah, some time it feels like this will never go away, that I will be like this forever, that it will even kill me. I know none of that is true, but it just feels like that especially right now and the horrific night I had last night with one of the worst attacks I have had all year. I felt so bad that I really wanted to go the hospital. I freaked out in the middle of the night, got dressed and was about to run out of the house to go to the ER. My partner nearly sat on me to make sure I did not go anywhere. Geez. Ill make an effort to work through the program. Have any of you had some success with it?

Kind regards from Sydney.
14 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
AfraidInSydney,

Welcome to the support site and for sharing your experiences.

Take some time to work through the program and the sessions to help you gain more perspective and control over the anxiety and panic that you feel. The program utilizes Cognitive Behaviour Therapy which is very effective for modifying responses and behaviours by changing thought patterns.

We are all here to support one another so please feel free to post whenever you need to.

Good luck,

Faryal, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there, I can relate to this feeling as well. Some times I feel this peace while I am sleeping and then as soon as I get up, boom, it hits me, this overwhelming panic courses through my body. It leaves me trembling, heart racing, light headed, full of dread, etc, you name it. Some times I need to step outside and just see people walking around and some times that helps me get some perspective, but not always. Nights are equally as bed, especially knowing everyone is asleep and I am left alone with my panic. Kind of like I am right now. My partner is asleep and I am here scared, panicking, tense, everything. Ugh. I realize that I feel worse, though, when I am alone and having to deal with this. It helps to be around others or to talk about things. Thank God for these support forums. :)
15 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello- I know how you feel.  Trust me.  As soon as I open my eyes in the morning I get an intense feeling of anxiety through out my torso.  It is awful. I hope you are feeling better, stay strong!
15 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I get this. I find that when I don't have trouble falling asleep, I sure have trouble staying asleep.  All are forms of insomnia and it is horrible to start your day at 4 am feeling so terrible.  I'm thinking of you and when you are up at 4 am, know I probably am too and we are doing this panic thing together (smile).  You are not alone and we are going to make it. Take care, Carmen
15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am going to check that book out. It really sounds like me in the mornings. Thank you so much for your imput.
15 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there,

Please please read a book by Claire Weekes called self help for your nerves !! Its a very old and rather dated book ( so it should be cheap to get hold of !! ), she has a whole chapter about morning anxiety and how to help control and overcome it. Its an excellent book honestly. I've written on another thread about how, when I first read it I felt like she was just talking to me as she was so spot on with what she says !! If you can't get it, a brief overview, she suggests that its all to do with expectations, in that we go to bed, hopefully a bit more relaxed, we've done our breathing exercises or whatever, just got through the day, and feel a bit better even, and then in the morning its almost like a shock that the feeling has gone, and its like a huge disappointment to know we have to struggle through another day , because the night before we were calmer. I hope that makes sense to you. Her answer to most of the problems we face is activity, not avoidance as such, just get up and do something, anything that works for you, shower, eat, watch t.v, go to work earlier, anything but lie there and ponder the why's.
I hope that helps, and that it makes some kind of sense to you.
I used to hate the mornings more than anything, so I'd drive !!! Anywhere that was open, and on route make up words from car number plates, or play a game on the computer if it was very early, or a quiz in a book.
Good luck, those mornings will get better, honestly.
Sue
15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brandie,

Have you tried relaxation techniques before bed and as soon as you open your eyes? Something like deep breathing could be helpful to you.

Getting into the calmest state before bed may keep your anxiety from rebounding in the AM. You may also want to try journalling your frustrations before employing your relaxation technique at night.

It may take a few tries before your body gets into the habit of being calm. Be sure to also use the program. Session 2 & 3 will teach you to recognize and challenge anxious thoughts.

Members, have any other techniques that help you deal with morning anxiety attacks?

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It seems like for me my morning anxiety is the worst. As soon as I wake up, its starts. I'm usually up around 4 am sweaty, but shivery at the same time. My arms tingle from my shoulders to my fingers. My feet are always cold and sweaty. I can never get back to sleep. Anybody else deal with morning anxiety? Wondering the best way to deal with it.

Reading this thread: