Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

Menopause and panic

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lara,

Great advice!  Members, any other advice?  Have you also experienced panic attacks related to menopause?  How did you overcome it?

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Savannah

Other things I found helpful for menopause: yoga; long walks (on the beach or in the park); a fan next to my bed at night, and a spray bottle with water to spray over myself; meditation. Holidays/weekends away. Taking a break with friends helps me to get some perspective.
hope this helps
Lara
15 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for the input all of you and your wonderful, kind supportive words - and Lara, you are amazing.  Brest cancer has to have been so scary.  I know the treatments are no fun.  For some reason though, you are still here. There is a plan for you.  God brought you through it because there are still wonderful things for you to do.  Teenagers... they are a challenge within themselves for sure.  Hang in there.  Just keep hanging in there.

I know there are good days and bad, and the bad - sometimes I wonder too like you, if I should not just go ahead and take the hormones even if they do cause such a risk for another blood clot - but then I think, "no, I'll get through this" and one bad day leads into a better one.  I just can't wait until it's over ;>)

15 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Savannah and Lara,
I don't know what it's like to have menopause yet but I remember when my mom has had them and other people I knew and they all said it's not fun. I'm sorry I can't understand your exact situations but you're not alone on the part of anxiety and depression, that's for sure. It's nice to meet you both. 

15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello savannah and Lara,

Thanks for sharing your stories and welcome to the forums!
15 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hullo Savannah

I was about to introduce myself as a new member and then I read your story. Mine is very similair. At the age of 37 I was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer. As  a prophylactic measure, my ovaries were removed, as well as chemo and radium . Also mastectomy. I went into menopause overnight. hot flushes which I am still getting 11 years later. Also may not take HRT for fear of recurral.
But that's eleven years I thought I might not get. They haven't always been easy, and the panic has been a great part of it. It still is: anxiety almost constantly, insomnia, a great deal of anger and impatience with my three teenagers (not always warranted!).Even though the oopherectomy saved my life, I sometimes find myself wondering whether it was worth it. I sometimes think I just want to take theHRT and have a couple of good years, even if it does give me cancer again. Reading your story made me feel vindicated - you have supplied the evidence that I am not being a hypochondriac about this. It's awful to suffer this, I know. Maybe this is not much comfort but you have at least helped me feel a little less lonely. And I thank you for it. And I can say that writing this now to you has helped dampen down a great deal of my own anxiety.
I also find that when I am feeling down, exercise helps. I never was much of a fitness bunny, but I can guarentee that a good workout sweats out a lot of the anxiety for me.
Thanks again for telling your story.
Lara

Lara
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
savannah,

Welcome to our wonderful support community, you have come to a great place
Please take the time to read through the program and to explore the tools and resources that are available to you through this site. Start reading through the forums as well, you will find that there are many members who have or who are going through the exact same thing as you. We are here to help and support you in whatever you need.
Members, please share your experiences with savannah.
Stay close, and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All.  I'm new to this site, searching for some support to give and recieve regarding the relationship of menopause and panic attacks.  In a nutshell, I've been sufferer and a survivor of panic attacks since I was 19.  I've gone years without any panic inbetween 4 episodes.  I understand the cycle and that I am in control of that cycle, that fear plays upon fear and I've been able to move past each - but now, with menopausa symptoms that I can't take any hormonal therepy for (I had a blood clot a few years back), I find it more difficult.  Whereas before, I was able to move past panic with an acceptance of the fact that it was my own thoughts and fear of the body sensations that was creating the panic, I seem to have little control over the changes in my body.  Depression is a problem.  For no reason what so ever that I can pin point, I will all of a sudden feel like my best friend has died, or for no apparent reason, I feel extremely on edge, and jumpy a good part of the day.  Being preconditioned to panic, although I know it's nothing to be afraid of, I fnd that I am more easily prone to forgetting and getting caught up in the oh no of it.  I think it's because whereas I felt like I had some control over my thoughts, emotions and body sensations, I don't anymore.  I'm interested in discussions on what others have done regarding panic and depression during menopause, as I'm a ways in being through it.  Although very are very irregular in the time they come, how long they last, etc., I still am getting my period every month.  I know that I am in the cycle of it though, as I had my hormone levels checked and have been told, that as expected, they are all over the place.  Thanks for your time.  I look forward to hearing some others take on all this and things that can help. I'm also very open to sharing my past experiences and what was for a tiime a cure for me (before the homones hit ;>)

Reading this thread: