Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Help for the one helping...

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Westmaple, Don't be too hard on yourself. If your girlfriend has suffered an injury, she's probably having some trouble coping with it. She needs time, just try your best to be patient and to support her where you can. Please begin working through the CBT program. Session 11 may of particular help to you as it focus primarily on relationships. Keep us posted and welcome aboard! Danielle _______________________ The DC Support Team
17 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Westmaple It's tough to watch someone you care about suffer, especially when she won't accept any benefit that your support and experience could give her. My brother, usually so capable and in control, is in an overwhelmingly difficult situation that has been tearing him apart for months. I can see him spiraling downward, but, like your girlfriend, he internalizes everything and won't admit that he's struggling. I'm sure that I could help him if he'd let me, but I'm also sure that if I offer support one more time it will hurt our relationship. Doing nothing is really hard, but their journeys are their own, not ours. I think that all we can do is to hope that they get through without crashing, and to be there for them if and when they come to us. I also think it's great that you're here -- it's helping me in particular with not taking my brother's rejection personally, and with letting go of things I can't control. It may seem selfish, but focusing on yourself and your emotional strength is really important. As you say, at bare minimum it will distract you from worrying about your girlfriend, but keep in mind the airplane emergency guidelines as well: if the oxygen masks drop, put your own on first so that you're better able to help those around you.
17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all, I decided to try this program after trying to cope with my latest bought of depression that's been creeping up on me for a few months now. My sports-playing girlfriend of nine months recently suffered a terrible injury to her knee and is devastated by it. She has gone from being loving and easy-going to withdrawn and cold in a matter of three months. It's putting such a strain on our relationship. I don't think she realizes she's depressed even though I've told her that I think she needs to see a professional about it. She's the kind of person who keeps her feelings inside and tries to be tough about stuff... but it's not helping her at all right now. Nothing I do helps (she's told me so, bluntly) and she won't do anything with me unless I initiate the conversation or suggest an activity. She tells me I can't possibly understand how she feels... she says having the injury is like not being able to breathe for a year. Sports are her passion. It's killing me, but I know from having suffered from depression in the past that this is something that happens... loved ones are pushed away, etc. I have regular anxiety attacks and feel sad on a daily basis because nothing I do helps the situation. Anyway, I'm hoping this program will help me a little or at least provide a distraction for the hardest parts of the day.

Reading this thread: