Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,518 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Did you know?

13 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All,

Dancing has always been a huge stress release for me, I was never much of a drinker, but I used to try and get out a couple of times to a local bar and just dance for hours and hours, usually closing the place down.   Exercise was so great, felt so good and it was a huge stress reliever.

Met some great people also, another bonus!

13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi TigerT,

Great timing for this discussion topic! Thanks for sharing that with us, and I have to agree dancing does make one feel good. I am glad that you take the opportunity to sing and dance when you can! 

Members, what have your experiences with dance been? How has dance helped you or someone you know?

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How funny!
I was having a discussion with a few class mates about the archaeological significance of music and dance.  (When it developed, if it was characteristic of a certain level of conciousness/intelligence etc.) And more importantly when and why it developed.
We did all agree on one thing about dance and music though.  It is one of the few things that *feels* good to do. No matter where, no matter when, how good or how bad you are. It just feels good.

So I wait till my house is empty and clean and dust the house with my stereo on..... and lots of bad singing and dancing! 

TigerT
13 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dance and Movement Therapy has been used for approximately 100 years to improve the mental and physical well- being of a person. Today, it is also taught as a means to focus a person's mind and body. This process can contribute to an overall better health. Dancing is recognized as an art and can increase ones self-expression and helps people connect with themselves and others. Dancing is a form of art that offers individuals a way to explore psychological roots to overcome certain illnesses such as depression. Research have shown that dancing provide benefits that can help minimize depression’s effects.

Are there any people that have had personal experience with the therapeutic benefit of dance?

Please share your stories.

Jason, Health Educator

Reading this thread: