Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

What is Fear?

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Joe, 

The thoughts are too deep seated. You need the xanax to keep the thoughts from getting jumbled. Remember it is temporary. Keep that in your mind, temporary. Please stay on it. You will be able to do this without it later but right now in my opinion and it is only my opinion you need it. Ok you have two reactions here to a hidden core belief. Being in your house or as you said it reminds you of your debt. Is there something wrong with being in debt, is there something wrong with owning a house. Has this thought been impregnated somewhere down the line, or has some one or some thing given you the impression you are not good enough to own a house? Same with the exercise, did some one at some time give you the impression that no matter how hard you exercise you will never be good enough? Some peer pressure some where? The two are so close together in the thought that you are not worthy, a very common negative core belief. The hurting a pet or loved one could be guilt from neglecting them to attain some other goal, like working so hard to be able to own what you do. Core beliefs can be built at any stage in your life. looking for triggers and core beliefs is like peeling an onion, you have to do it one layer at a time till you find the rot. I'm not pointing a finger here, I'm just trying to cut through the fog and give you some ideas. It may seem like panic happens for no reason, but there always is. Yours seems to be built on frustration and the inability to believe in yourself. I would not think you are psychotic, and after the description of your mothers party, I'm sure you aren't. Two words. "I believe" If I can believe you will get better then so can you. And you will, stick with us, it will happen. I know this for sure.
One last question and we can see how far out to lunch I am. It is worse when you are not busy. Is this because you have time to think or is it because you think you should be busy, or both?

Here for you,
your friend
Davit.
13 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have panic attacks at night and in the morning. At night, I can't stop the intrusive thoughts! Like, I'm never going to feel normal again. Thoughts of hurting a pet or a loved one, and as these thoughts are repeating in my head over and over again, I go into a full blown panic attack. I can't seem to control the thoughts! It usally last hours! When I do fall asleep, when I wake it all starts again! It seems to subside when I leave my house. When I get back home later in the day, I can feel the anxeity levels rise. As far as a trigger, it seems when I'm feeling " normal " my mind seems to realize this and then starts with the thoughts. Usally when I don't have a lot going on at the time. I'm NOT psycotic! I never been a violent person. I have A.D.D. and a touch of OCD.Maybe that has something to do with it?
 Working out makes it worst. Don't know why. Maybe because of the adrenaln surge from working out? Xanax seems to help make me feel the thoughts are not serious. Just stupid thoughts. I would like to brush those stupid thoughts off without Xanax!
13 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

We all know what it is like to be afraid. Everyone’s been afraid of something at least once in their lives. And fear is good. It’s a basic human emotion and is just as important as other emotions like happiness, sadness and anger. Our ability to experience fear is very important. Without the ability to experience fear we’d be in big trouble.

Fear is an emotional and physical response that’s common in all animals. It’s been developed over millions of years and has helped humans survive real threats.

If you’re either in fight or flight mode you’ll feel a number of things: an increased heart rate, shortness of breath, sweating, flushing, shaking, restlessness, agitation, edginess or jumpiness. Increased heart rate, breathing & sweating prepare your muscles for action. Flushing, shaking, restlessness and agitation are the result of changes in blood flow and the release of chemicals like adrenaline that prepare your body for maximum effort in a short period of time.

The switch for turning the fear response on is very sensitive. And it’s important to know that fight or flight response doesn’t last very long – a few minutes to a half hour at most. When the fear response (fight or flight) occurs in situations that are not dangerous or life-threatening, it is called a panic attack.

Do you suffer from panic attacks? What are their frequency? How long do they last? Any triggers?

Jason, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: