Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Tough Love?

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning

I looked up Toowoomba on google earth it appears to be situated in a circle of different colour that I assume was the volcano. 

I think it was last year that in central BC some brush was lit so that houses would be evacuated. People on quads were caught raiding the houses. They were caught on camera by a guy sitting on his roof watching the fire.

Davit
10 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, it's going to take a year to see all the places I want to see in North America! Not that I'm complaining. It'd be great to do some study abroad for uni or just backpacking in general. That's so funny that they spot goats out of boredom. I don't have her address, but I know it was in a city near Vancouver. I'll have to look up Robson Valley.
BC wouldn't be much of a climate change from New Zealand, it's great he likes it.

I live in a town called Toowoomba in South East Queensland. It's built on a volcano as a part of the Great Dividing Range which starts in QLD and goes all the way down to Victoria through New South Wales. It can get quite cold here, but nowhere near like it does down south. We also don't have that awful humidity that Brisbane and Central Queensland have which I'm glad about. 
How is someone in grade 3 meant to know that? I don't even know who our Prime Minister was 54 years ago. At the moment it's Julia Gillard and a few days ago she had a chicken sandwich thrown at her when she went to a high school, it's been all over the news! And then the school suspended the wrong person and had to go through the video footage again. I'm laughing just writing about it.

Our bush fires can get out of control so fast, in summer it's really dry here and eucalyptus trees have a tendency to drop limbs and bark everywhere so it's like kindling just ready to be lit. Sadly, the bush fires we had this year were mostly deliberately lit.

Kaitie.
Vancouver is huge. Not up and down like New york but spread out on what was flood plain. There are sky scrapers of course but just to drive across it can take half a day. You don't want to do it without air  conditioning. I've seen it from an air ambulance. The rest of the trip all I saw was the tops of mountains. The crew does goat spotting (mountain Goats etc.) to relieve the boredom. If you had the Canadian teachers Address you could look it up on google earth. If you look up the Robson Valley where I live you will see there are not many farms or houses. Just a road and a river. But Vancouver is cities inside cities.
I hope you get to see it and some more of BC.
I have a neighbour from New Zealand who has a sheep farm on the river, He worked on the tow boats 28 years to be able to afford it. He loves it here. 

Davit.

Going to go back a few posts to see where you live. When I was in grade three I did an essay on australia I only got 98% because I didn't know the president's (?) name. That was 54 years ago. All I know of Australia comes from movies and few at that. That and news of brush fires. Worse than our forest fires I think.
Davit,

From that description, it does sound a lot like Australia. In 6th grade I had a Canadian exchange teacher, her family came to live in Australia for a year while the Australian teacher and her family went to live in her house in Vancouver for the year. She was amazing, even the tough boys in my class cried when she had to leave on our last day of school. I've always wanted to go and see her in Vancouver.

Kaitie.
Kaitie

BC is a lot like Australia in one aspect. Most of the population of BC is located in the temperate areas. The rest is few and far between. There is something for everyone here from ocean islands to lakes few live on. High mountains to almost desert. Miles of orchards to ghost towns the remnants of gold and silver mines. People still live and work their claims at Barkerville. A major tourist attraction. 

The big difference I think would be that we have a cooler climate.

Davit.
Thanks Ashley, it was a long time ago now. Yeah her raising her voice and threatening me certainly didn't help the anxiety at all. And the way she made the anorexic ward sound like a prison, when it should be somewhere we associate with getting better, I didn't agree with that either. She actually wasn't a bad psychiatrist, so I think something else I don't know about must've happened that day to get her so fired up.

These places you are all talking about sound so amazing, I've always wanted to go to Canada and British Columbia is definitely on the top of the list when I do eventually go!

Kaitie.
I spent 22 years on the north shore of Lake Athabasca in Saskatchewan. Also in the Shield. Rocks and Pine Trees.

Loved it too. Miss the lakes. Half the land was underwater. 

Davit.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The real concrete jungle is between my ears.  I remember once I wished to join some people to the Caribean, but had to buy a travel poster instead(did like the people, anyway without sounding like sour grapes)
10 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds lovely Davit, maybe one day...

Ontario does have beautiful areas up North on the Canadian Shield. It's very easy to find a secluded place the farther north you go. I used to work up there when I was younger and I loved. I am also a country girl at heart. From the country but live in the concrete jungle now. So I can certainly imagine it.

Ashley, Health Educator
Ashley

Old timers here have a saying. The view is fantastic but it makes damn thin soup. I hear the lakes country of Ontario is beautiful but maybe a bit crowded and expensive. 
One side of this valley has power and paved roads, the other side doesn't but it has a better view. Colder too though.
Mountains can do that. Even with the road and power there are still places like mine that are pretty isolated. It will be 27 today but not muggy like Ontario. But then I don't have a lake to go jump in. Just ponds with pond life. (yuk) The ducks and geese can have them. Anyone contemplating living in a cabin should make sure they have power and good water. Doing without power is tough. I've done it. Cutting wood for heat and hauling water takes the fun out of living the quiet life.
A lot of people would love to just chuck it all and go live in a cabin. Why not? Cell phones and computers make it much more possible. The local coroner runs a farm with poor access and no power yet. Cell phone for business and a tractor to keep the road open in winter. As far as I know she is happy. But she is unique and likes the life. TV is not part of her life.
Her closest neighbour (they don't have power either) is a half mile away. Everyone else is farther, like me, I have one neighbour a quarter mile away on the same road then nothing for miles. Yet I have power and I am on a paved road. 
Paradise or what. But it has a cost. Everything does of course but for me the silence and the peace is worth it. 

We have a good hospital with access to a better one by ambulance or medibus. There is no shortage of activities if a person needs them and yes we do have TV.

So if a person is going to do this make sure they and their partner know what they are getting into. It can cure or it can kill. As a cure for stress it can do wonders. Your own good clean food and room to roam. Probably hard to imagine for someone living in the concrete jungle.

Davit.

Reading this thread: