Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Baking is good for the stress.

9 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley,

I gained about 2 lbs.. :) and accepted the grief/loss of the koi as I buried them. I also now know which of my neighbors and family members enjoy banana bread. The most rewarding part was being productive in a relaxed way and reaping the rewards while bread was still warm. Comforting feeling.
9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to hear about your koi dying. That must have been very upsetting considering it was due to the power outage.

Good for you for doing some self care when you are were not feeling well. Knowing what soothes you in times of stress is a great skill to have. A productive and relaxing activity are some of the best kinds! I also love how you shared your hard work with others

What do you think you gained from this experience? (other then banana bread of course! )

Ashley, Health Educator
Davit, 

I would definitely  put a few fish in the pond. They are relaxing to watch and would be tasty to eat as well. As for the encore, I'm going to gain some weight by eating the loafs of bread. I will freeze all except one of each variety. I've already devoured half of the Cinnamon Apple and that will be my breakfast this morning. Not the other half, just a slice. :) Then I will go outside to the flower beds to weed and deadhead.

As for popular, I had to giggle at that. It reminded me of 20+ years ago when I had to individually tell co friends of my first marriage during the divorce who were being asked to choose sides and not by me, that "I wasn't born to win any popularity contests, I'm not going to start now". Needless to say, they didn't take to well to that. CBT let me think about that and not feel a thing except that little giggle.

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JayDee

I'm glad you have found a stress reliever that works. So many things people do don't work. Mine have a very low irritant factor. I would imagine yours does too.
Surfing the internet doesn't work for me. Nor does TV. I'm an introvert too. Some people and some people situations can be very stressful. Yet I like people, mostly on my terms.

Because I have cats I never got an aquarium but it was always something on the list. One of my ponds is quite deep and cold because it is shaded. It would be perfect for trout. I'd put a bench by it if I did put fish in it so I could watch them jump. There was a hatch of florescent green Caddis a few days ago. Fish food but very pretty fish food. There are large Birch trees over hanging it. Twenty years ago there was another smaller birch but it got hit by lightning and exploded. Lightning never touched the tin roof chicken house that was right by it. Another Birch close by got hit by lightning. I cut it down for my saw mill but it is no good. Inside is all shattered and cracked. Lightning seems to like the birch because there are evergreens that are much taller that never get hit.  

So what are you going to do for an encore after all that baking. Besides become very popular.

Davit.
Davit,

Thank you for your sympathy for the fish. The big koi was incredible. I'm surprised I was attached to it as I was. The fish aquarium is lacking now. It was about 14 inches long.  Beautiful fish it was. It would wag its tail at feeding time like a cat or dog would. Sometimes if I walked by the aquarium and didn't look at it, it would try to splash me with water. It has got me a few times. I will miss that.

I think it was the staying busy part and being productive for me today and I forgot how much I enjoy baking from scratch. I used to bake a variety of cookies years ago in a days time. So it was a nice reminder of how much I enjoy it. It felt very relaxing and stress free to be in the kitchen and honestly, I didn't want to rest because I was concerned I would take a nap and get off schedule. I know I won't have a problem sleeping tonight at all.

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm so sorry to hear about the fish. More so about the men. We do live in a "me first" world. I guess it is why I live way out here in nowhere land.
I used to make a fermented cinnamon loaf and a fermented fruit loaf (friendship cake) but that was a long time ago. Now I make the odd cake (chocolate boiling water cake), very good, very moist but the recipe needs more flour I think. I make good pie crust and very good bread. I use a Kitchen Aid mixer for the bread. 
For stress though I weed or work in my shop. Mostly it is just staying busy that works.

Davit
Yesterday I baked four loafs of Banana bread while it was raining/storming. I started Blueberry bread and lightning struck the transformer. Needless to say I was without power for over 17 hours. This morning when I woke up, two of my Koi fish had died overnight from lack of oxygen in the aquarium. One was my favorite. I cried as a dug a hole to bury them in. I was angry with the electric company for their lack of response in a timely manner. Then for their loud voices throughout the night as they dug up the yard and had a good time whilst waking me every 45 minutes with their loudness and machinery. It wasn't their fault lightning hit the transformer, but they could have spoken in lower voices knowing people were sleeping with their windows open. I wanted to blame them for my fish dying, but, it wasn't their fault. It's just what happens in the cycle of life. So with the lack of sleep, I spent the good part of the day baking breads. I now have 11 assorted loafs of bread. Banana, Blueberry, and Cinnamon Apple and Cinnamon Streusel . I've already given 3 loafs away so 14 loafs total. I also made a Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti in the crock pot. I tried it, I don't like it. I prefer the Cinnamon Apple bread instead. I don't have to water the flower beds this evening, but I have some storm debris in yard to pick up. The baking sure helped with the stress of the past 24 hours.

Reading this thread: