Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

What did you learn today?

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit, I think I saw something like what you meant. What is the name of the gadget? I'm unimpressed with what the Hvac people did 19 years ago to install ductwork. They took out a crossbeam, and that should have been compensated for. Now that I've taken some courses in house framing, and building, I have better than 20/20 vision. Unfortunately, it's too late to do much. Today I was reminded to measure twice, and cut once. I tried blocking another space in the basement cold room, and the template I cut was too large for the duct. No problem, since I have more cardboard. And I love reusing! But I'm going to measure twice.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

Do you know how to make a jig for tracing irregular shapes out of a piece of cardboard and a pencil. You tape a pencil to the edge of a piece of cardboard so it acts like an upright narrow spacer no wider than the max width the side of the pipe will be from the front and keeping it parallel you trace the edge of the cardboard that has no pencil on it around the pipe, object or what ever. The pencil leaves the shape exactly just that it is the distance away that the cardboard spacer is wide.
Lee valley sells a tool with multiple fingers that does a better job.

Davit,  who has a head full of this kind of crap.
I learned to make a template for blocking a draft more quickly, repeating something I was doing the day before.
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How to say no to my anxious thoughts that keep saying you always have to be doing something. I said no to them today and just let my self relax..Now I just hope that I can pull off a repeat performance again..and say no to them when I need to..

Red..

I learned that a bit of lemon juice and rosemary goes good in a white sauce.

I learned that Sunny still made better baked beans than I do.

I learned that my property value went up another ten thousand dollars.

I learned that our new cell tower is for tourists on the highway and cost a million dollars. And it still is not running.

Good thing I'm close to the highway.

Virtue be damned, patience is  necessity.

Davit
Duct tape was designed for taping the joints in heating ducts I'm not sure even how well it would burn. There is also muffler tape. There is orange high temp silicon sealant too for little holes. Designed for sealing manifold gaskets.
My friends out east are talking about sealing their houses against the cold and it is raining here. Funny weather. Grass hoppers are going to turn into dinosaurs. 
What will be will be.

Davit
Davit, It's amazing how many types of tape there are! Today I almost closed off a gaping hole in a makeshift cold room, but I have to refine the edges of the cardboard, so it can sit around the duct and evenly close off the space. I have to figure out whether a very warm duct should sit snugly around the duct, since I could place some thermal tape around it, for safety's sake(actually my sanity).
You can buy clear vinyl to tape over windows that leak, this is different from the vinyl you put on with a hair dryer. I've used it to make thermo pane out of single pane windows. 

Davit
I also learned that I have 4 additional windows where I can use plastic insulation, since they have a picture window above the sliding part. I just never saw that. Also, it takes a lot of strength, and focus. Maybe that's changed in me now! I can see me doing that. During this cold snap, I can really tell the cold places, and use that to add ideas to a list of things to do in the evening, when I unwind.
Davit, The area around the furnace isn't actually being used. The intake valve is actually further away. I hang wet laundry around it, figuring it will use the humidity.

Reading this thread: