Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Control, acceptance and living in the present moment...Life lessons.

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Joe,
Thank you. I am glad you liked my post 
Isn't it a great feeling when you realize you can chllenge all this and make it better. Doesn't that just bring light into your night? When I realized that it felt like "Here comes the sun"! Thanks for sharing!

Hey CM,
Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed my post. Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel, there is hope. Acceptance is one of the ways to get there! As for not being there yet, give yourself time. It is a long process! Be kind and patient and forgiving with yourself. You deserve it! You will get there. You would be shocked how far baby steps will take you!  and hey, not fighting it as much is a wonderful way to get there!

Thanks for sharing CM!

Please, anyone who has life lessons to share, please do. Share wisdom is amplified and contributes to overall well-being.
15 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Excellent post Diva, thanks so much for sharing and showing people that there is a light at the end of the tunnel through acceptance.  I say this knowing fine and well that I have not come to that point yet although I think I'm beginning not to fight it as much.

Truly inspiring.
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post!

For me, realizing I could challenge anxiety was the biggest thing.  Since this, I've challenged all aspects of my life I'm not happy with.  Depression included.  It's rocky like the mountains...but I'm much more at peace knowing I am trying.  And I won't stop now, I've already come so much further then where I was.  Things aren't so dark when you bring your own flashlight.
Hey Faith,
Thanks!
I am glad you enjoyed this thread and that it was refreshing for you! I have three of his books. They are good aren't they. And yes it is hard to be Present in the moment. I struggle with it too. But I keep at it because I agree with you that it is a key to overcoming anxiety! So true what you said! As for living in the future I think us anxious people really do that. I know I do. You have a great idea. I have lots going on right now. I think I might bring out my books again and revisit them! Thanks!

Hey Faryal,

Thank you :) I think that realisation was a key to my recovery. It is old knowledge, old wisdom. Even Marcus Aurelius said it! I am sure people had said it before. I think it is wisdom we need. It is good that so many have written it so that the rest of us may rediscover it :).

I guess I did this thread in the hopes we may share wisdom with each other. So that we may share life lessons that helped us or changed our lives! So please, all, feel free to add to this thread!
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva,   Your post was very profound and enlightening!   Realizing that one's own way of thinking or attitude ultimately determines the outcomes is quite amazing.   Thank you.     Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva, I really enjoyed reading this thread.  Living in the moment is a huge challenge for me, and I am trying to do just that.  When I panick I am living in the future, because I am worrying about what will happen to me, will I pass out, is this some terrible disease and the thoughts go on.  I am learning to stop them.  But it is hard in today's world to just be.  I am trying to teach my kids that too, because they are often asking what are we doing tomorrow, and I want them to focus on today.  I have Eckhart Tolle's second book I believe and I need to get back into it. I really believe that part of the "secret" of combatting anxiety is to just live....!! Thanks for a great post, it was refreshing for me today!

I have had to deal with anxiety disorders for a very long time now. I don't state this to depress anyone. I truly believe there is help for this and that there is recovery from this. I have seen it in my own life. I got better. I am better. I still am who I am, with my flaws and my strengths. I still have to manage my stress. But I am better. I have a life, a good one. My life is generally happy. I feel better. I live!
I was in my early teens when I was diagnosed with GAD and PD. Then it got worse and I also became agoraphobic. Then I got depressed. There was a time where I was incapable of leaving my house. I wasn't working or going to school. I was very isolated. I was terrified of being alone so my husband had to baby-sit me all the time. He would actually call my mom to come see me so he could go out when it was too bad.  I had so many panic attacks a day I stopped counting. It felt like my days were just one big panic attack from the moment I woke up to when I went to bed. I was so depressed by it all I could not manage the basics of daily life. I had no energy to bathe or eat or do anything. Everyday, just breathing and surviving my day was my success. I was in the dark and I had no hope. At that point I just wanted a miracle drug. I wanted someone to come and save me because I felt overwhelmed and like I couldn't cope anymore. The anxiety was at a fever pitch and was unbearable.

But slowly and surely I understood some basic principles that saved my life!
1. I have control over my anxiety. I can save myself. I am the knight in shining armour of my own story. People cannot save me if I don't want to be saved, or if I don't try to save myself. But if I try they can help. I am the one who has to save myself. I am the one who has to challenge my thoughts, go to therapy, do the Panic Center program, etc. But the beauty of it is, I CAN SAVE MYSELF! I realized I was not the poor little princess who needed saving, I was the knight in shining armour. I am the warrior! Also, I have control over the anxiety. I can decide how much it affects my life. I can decide if I challenge it or not. Marcus Aurelius had understood this he said "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." Finally he said: « If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. ». William James figured that out too, he said: « The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. ». This wisdom has been discovered and rediscovered throughout history. It is a wisdom that has changed my life. Thought challenging does work. Changing your perception can change your life!

2. I had to learn acceptance. I do believe PD can go away and never come back. But I had to accept that in my case it would be different. I had to redefine recovery for myself. I had to accept that in my life, recovery meant I had a good life. It meant that I had control over the anxiety and not the other way around! I had to accept that panic attacks would happen and that it was ok. Once I accepted that I got the power back! My panic attacks only have as much power over me as I give them. If I say they are horrible and it is the end of the world if I have one, it will be! If I say it is a bad time but it will pass and I will move on, that changes everything. Accept and I can go on and take away the power the PA have over me! But resisting for me made it worse. As Eckart Tolle said: « If you resist, it persists! »

3. Finally be present to your life, to yourself to your present moment. I cannot change the past. I cannot do anything about the future. But I can affect change in my present. It is in the present moment that I have power. My place of power, of control is in the Present moment. It is the only place and time that I can live and exist! I learned that in the book « The Power of Now » by Eckhart Tolle. It changed my life. I can’t even begin to explain al I have learned from it.

There are many more lessons I have learned in my life. These are just three little lessons I have learned and I learned the hard way! I thought I would share this with you. Sorry for the novel! I am an insomniac and I am rambling. Please share whatever you like in this thread, tips or life lessons of your own. The more we share what was useful to us, the more we can help each other.

Reading this thread: