Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Namecalling: Sticks and Stones Will Break My Bones...But Can Names Reallly "Hurt"?

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm away from work for some time now, and have burned my bridges.  I wouldn't feel comfortable with anyone doing in the future
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wonder if others have experienced namecalling as children, or adults, and if it's affected you?

As a child, a parent called me "crazy", and I've not forgotten that moment, where it was, and the place in the home.   He He died before I knew him well enough, and I wonder if there is an aspect to "namecalling" which is actually hurtful.  I really miss dad too.

As an adult, high schoolers names were prevalent.  Even at work, there were names used, usually behind peoples' backs.  Uusally there was some "meaning" to the nickname.

At work, my name was "Wonderboy", and the person who named me was building on my work ethic, since I tried so hard, and he was more "political". 

Any input out there

Reading this thread: