Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

new of course! My story.

11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Blue Radi.

Welcome to the group; I am glad you found us. It sounds like you have been feeling very alone lately; please know that you are not alone any more we can help you take control of this. This program will help you with anxiety. It is based on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy principles which a proven effective treatment of anxiety. Like Steve said, take your time with it and do the homework and you will notice a difference. 

I noticed much of your anxiety seems to stem from your relationship with your husband. This can be challenging as we can only control our own thoughts and actions we cannot change another person's. So either you will have to change the way you react to your husband or change how you perceive the situation with your husband. You might find it helpful to talk to a couple or family therapist.  Feeling that you are not supported by your husband is something that needs addressed. You may also want to check out the sections on Relationships and Resolving Disputes these session will teach you about communication and being assertive.

Keep us updated on how your doing! Post often.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Blue Radi,
Stick with the course and post when every you feel the need to..It does get better and it does help..

Red.
11 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Blue Radi,

Welcome!  I'm new to this site myself, but not new to recovery from anxiety (12 years or so of on and off therapy).  I'm only in week 3, but I have already gotten great advice from these forums and am noticing a gradual and sustained improvement, and I've just scratched the surface.  It sounds like you're dealing with lot of the same issues I have dealt with.  So, maybe we can help each other out?  Anyway, my best advice to you is a version of what was passed on to me by Ashley (one of the health educators) a couple of weeks ago and that's just take your time, don't rush, and work the program week-by-week.  With time and work, you'll notice a positive change.  I know this from the little bit of work I've done myself, but also from reading about CBT.  Good luck!

~Steve

11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Blue Radi,

This is a great program that really works and it has a tremendous support group.  I think you will find, that as you start the program and work through it, that you will improve greatly.  There are a lot of important coping skills that I learned from this site.  I no longer panic about panicking and I'm able to manage anxiety when it arises.  You came to the right place and we are here for you.

Shari
11 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello.  Of course I am new here.  I have had one very serious panic attack about 9 years ago, and wee little ones and anxiety about it since. 
 Here is my story as I see it. 
My husband became distant right after we got married.  He prefered the attention of newer suituations, being the center of attention, I was old news so to speak.  When this started to happen I felt lonely, sad, confused, and was shamed by him for feeling this way, so I began to lose my self esteem.  I think this is how I developed panic and anxiety, as I started questioned myself constantly for feeling distressed about our relationship and when talking to him about it I was told I was crazy and imagining things.  I always thought myself a strong person, trusted my gut.  But I am not really that person any more.
We recently moved from the city to a small mountain town, I thought this would be great bring us closer together.  My husband is very social, in 2 bands, volunteers at the local college radio station.  I am the opposite.  I like to go out to the odd show, or event but not every weekend.  I have a fear of the BIG PANIC ATTACK that happens after midnight, so must leave before then.  This bothers my husband greatly because the party just starts going at midnight.  I self medicate with alcohol as it makes me more fun and stay out longer, as I've been told.  This is not a good path to be on as this has started to get me in trouble as I get upset with my distant, emotionally unavailable husband at the end of the evening.  Which then adds to my anxeity in the long run.
I wish I could get my confidence back and not panic about my panic, which increases my need for my husband, which increases his need to get away from me.  I wish my husband could show empathy for me and listen to me and my thoughts.  I wish I could just shake this feeling out of my head and go back to me, me who I was, me who was not affraid of anything, me who was confident.
So, basically I panic about panic happening.  I have anxiety for what happens if it happens again and I'm alone, or I have to bother my husband with it.  I have anxiety for what people might think of me if I'm not fun.  I have anxiety to not live up to expectations of others.  I have heavy shoulders.
This site looks good to help me with this.  Thanks for listening.  One other thing.  I have looked into my panic anxiety before and I have found that it makes me more crazy and anxious the more I work with it.  I don't really get that?

Reading this thread: