Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Panic/Asthma Attacks

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know what to say except that My O2 Sat has never gone below 99% even during a panic attack, but my glucose is up as much as 5 points, but I don't know if its cause or affect. I don't have Asthma but when I'm stressed or tired I can't get my breath or maybe I just don't breath. I'm no longer on medication so all I have is Lemon Balm , or Ginger Mint tea. Both work real fast to stop the anxiety and I breath Ok again. When I did Ativan withdrawl I would drink one or two cups To carry me through the rebound. It was terrific. I'd start to breath again and go back to sleep. (night panic). I'm just stating this as a fact, not a recomendation. It can be hazardous in large doses but it does work. I no longer get panic attacks as is, any panic I get is so mild it doesn't qualify. If you are not doing the program, please look at it. I'm sure it can help you.  (by the way I have Scoliosis but it never got bad enough to need pins. But I now have seven fused vertebrea.)
Peace.
Davit
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the group Deb!

Start working your way through the program.  You will find it to be a big help.

Why is it that the panic has resurfaced? What has changed in your life? Are you more stressed then normal.  Are you sleeping and eating well?

You have gone through a lot in your life.  You are a very strong person.  You can take control over this panic and we will be right here for you whenever you need support.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello, everyone!
It's my first time on here so I thought I would introduce myself and explain my problem.

I started having panic attacks over 10 years ago before I was diagnosed with acid reflux.  I thought I was having asthma attacks (I was diagnosed with allergic asthma when I was a child).  I couldn't even leave the house for months.  I finally saw a therapist who prescribed Paxil.  It worked miracles.
 Sometimes I wonder if I have post traumatic stress syndrome.  I had asthma attacks as a child, 10 hour scoliosis surgery at the age of 14, was shot 5 times by a peeping tom when I was 17, had 2 children and suffered postpartum depression.
I am a very nervous person and am always afraid of embarassing myself or letting someone else down.  I am a constant people pleaser but am realizing that's not a good thing for myself.

The panic attacks have resurfaced over the past 2 years.  I haven't actually had an asthma attacks in many years b/c I'm on so many meds to prevent it.  I have had a bronchial spasm which was VERY scary but only lasted with one inhalation.  I had bronchitis which was very scary for me b/c I was afraid an asthma attack could hit at any moment.  Now I just have a head cold and I'm afraid it's going to my lungs to cause an asthma attack.
I just started teaching dance for my friend's new studio.  I can't even make it through a class without having a panic attack.  I won't even dance most of the time.  Dance is my dream...my life.  I know it's hard to think that when I've had so many problems but I have danced since I was a child with some of the best instructors in the US.  I even want to join a dance company that has both disabled and abled dancers of all ages.  I would be considered slightly disabled b/c of the rods in my back.
Anyway, my dreams are on hold right now b/c I'm afraid of when the next panic/asthma attack is going to hit.  A panic attack feels just like an asthma attack so it's VERY difficult to distinguish the 2.  My husband is a respiratory therapist and says that he's never once heard me even wheeze.  He bought be a Pulsox which is one of those gadgets that they put on your finger to read the oxygen level and heart rate.  My oxygen has never gone below 97% which is better than most people.
So why are these things coming on again?
I'm currently taking Luvox along with Xanax when I need it.  Xanax doesn't seem to stop my panic attacks.
I was put on Luvox b/c it helps with obsessive thoughts.  It worked several years ago when I thought I was panicking about choking.  That also went away when they took out my very enlarged tonsils.

Ok, that's enough.  Help!!

Reading this thread: