Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

derealization or depersonalization?

15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well I think jhori said it best. don't need to explain further! I just want to say I had those symptoms before when in high stress. Have had a touch of it sometimes in the last year but barely. And honestly it didn't scare me this time around, I knew what it was. It was more anoying than anything else lol. For me it went away once I dealt with my thoughts and behaviors and brought my anxiety down. Simple as that. As I got to feeling better it slowly just went away. Hang in there it does get better!
15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Chris,   Does this help?  Thanks for the great explanation and research Jhori! Di you try to talk to your therapist as well?  They will sometimes be able to explain clearer.

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
De-realization is more being in a dreamlike state, kind of like nothing is real and life is a dream.  De-personalization is more you feel like a 3rd party to your own life.  Meaning you feel like your watching yourself do what you do.  I've had a bit of both, though more de-realization then de-personalization.  For me, it came and went.  Particularly after mild to harsh anxiety episodes...though I found doing something active helped bring me out of it.  Personally, it's one of those things that I just worked through and came out fine.  Remember anxiety exacerbates any fear you have, and could be key to what keeps that feeling on your doorstep.

It can be brought about by a number of things, extreme anxiety/panic attacks, drugs, traumatic events, withdrawal from drugs, caffeine, alcohol and minocycline (found in certain acne medications).  Got that info from wikipedia, though other medical sites I visited support this.
15 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a question,that the doctors; only explanation is the side effects of  anxiety and depression .De realization or depersonalization they are very similar in symptoms but both state being in a dream like state.This dream like state if its been with you for a very long time.So say everyday all day? not so bad at night and a little better when you have a good night's rest but it still lingers.Has anyone here dealt with it on a daily basis for an extended period of time?And if so how did you get rid of it overcome it or do they come back,or do you still experience it?I need a way to get past derealization or depersonalization Ive researched this topic until i was blue in the face and its still just a phenomenon or enlightenment for  budist monks I'm not a monk.I've read that some people only have it after a traumatic event', and some it comes on for no reason ,other's are drug induced but it;s supposed to be a borderline dissociative disorder is there any answer to this equation? 

Reading this thread: