Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Nice Guys Finish Last(Nice Gals Finish Last)

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Vincenza,
I thought I'd see older people, who were professionals in their field.  I thought the clothing of the artists would be more artsy or colourful, but I suppose I live in an area of the town where I see a cross-section of artists anyway so there were no surprises.

I also thought i might not get into the lecture, but I arrived early enough, since I checked with the office of the president(OMG I think actually might have spoken to her since I dialed the wrong extension...my hands have a will of their own).

I also thought I'd be more tense, but I dropped in on a church to relax and was awestruck by the wonderful stain glass windows, and probably took away some of calm from that environment.

I'm getting better at scheduling, since I've overcome the procrastination() that went with planning.  Often I'd struggle with timing, directions but now I have more methodical way of appoaching outings so, silly as it sounds, I have my clothes chosen ahead of time as well.

I remember a woman joking how some men have to number their clothing items for matching.  I actually have a large drafting board, which has become by socks sorting space, so I have some things to learn there.

It would help to predict my expectations and then compare, but I had to scramble since there was a last-minute visitor, and I wished to do some research at the university beforehand, so I had some lead time, since the places were all close to each other.

Providing a time cushion is something which I've learned to include so I don't miss an outing, but have secondary errands which can be dropped in the area, making me punctual.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great to hear Hugs!  

What were your expectations going into the lecture?
Vincenza, Health Educator
Davit,
It's so great to hear from you!
Having been so isolated as a child, I continued the programme of keeping inside in adulthood, so I make judgements based on few people.

With all the encouraging people on this site, I'm starting to see the other more helpful people in the world.  Today I went to a wonderful lecture, and someone actually initiated a conversation!  That broke down some of my negative expectations.  Also, it was a school which one of my work-bully-colleagues attended, so I chipped away at my fear of going out in another manner
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
7 billion people in the world now, are you going to let a few annoy you when there are so many nice ones out there just waiting to make your day.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs,

You make a very good point and I have noticed that too. However, I also did notice that some of the nicest people who also have quite a bit of street smarts get pretty far too. I think the key is to continue to be your sweet, compassionate self but be sweet and compassionate with yourself first. Be assertive when nessesary and don't let anyone make you feel weaker just because you are nice and considerate.

Be nice and strong. I have a hunch you already are.

Ashley, Health Educator
I wonder how others cope with manipulation in life generally, when your virtures are taken advantage of?

I haven't watched the reality survival shows, but from the small clips I've seen when channel surfing, they promote predatory behaviour

Reading this thread: