Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Going back to work Monday.......

14 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Leanna,
Congratulations on your return to work!  It sounds like something you should be proud of.  I agree that even though it is the same job, your experience will be different because you know more about how to handle your anxiety.  One thing that I try to do before facing a possible trigger is write down a list of things that I want to think about or want to remind myself of.  I take the list with me and try to focus on these positive or inspirational statements.  Also, I try to think about or actually write down my action plan so that I know there are many options on how to handle how I'm feeling.  Then I feel more prepared.  I think Sunny was right that it is normal for every person to have anxiety before starting/returning to work, so don't be too hard on yourself.  Congratulations and I look forward to hearing how it goes!
Ariel
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
All those positive things you just mentioned - that's what you can concentrate on - not the negative stuff.  Your first day back will probably be more stressful - this is naturally true for anyone even without an anxiety disorder.  So, be kind to yourself, one step at a time, easy does it.  You should be so proud of yourself going back to work.  Good for you!
14 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for your feedback. I'm still working through the program. It has already helped tremendously, but this job is a big trigger for me. I'm not looking forward to going back other than getting to see friends. I took a demotion from management because this job is so stressfull. I can't imagine going back to the same place without doing the same job. I'm afraid of being "used". I could go on and on about this.

There are some positive things I can look forward to, such as seeing friends and finally being able to be productive outside of my home. I am looking forward to getting out of the house. Anyway, I have only a couple of months left to be at this particular job. 

Unfortunately, because I have been out of work so long, I had to stop seeing my counselor. Funds were getting low. I've been trying to use other resources (such as this site) for a better understanding. 

I will use your tips. One thing I have been getting good at is "riding out" my anxiety attacks. They don't last as long and I'm able to do more things now. I haven't been so good at anticipatory anxiety. I think I definately need to become more active to counter act this surge of negative energy.

Thank you so much for your tips!
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Leanna:  Congratulations!  on going back to work.  I can understand your anticipatory anxiety.  I often feel that before a big "do" or having to do some public speaking.  I switch the anxiety to excitement.  I also visualize being there, what I would be doing, how I would react to certain things, etc.  Always in a positive way.  I remember at the office when i felt a little anxiety or tension starting, I would go to the ladies room and take some deep breaths (positive self talk too, you know, such as "I'm doing great, it's all going well and I can do it"), I would run cold water on my inside wrists, have a drink of cool water and go back to my office.
I wish you good luck and hope that you remember that you have a lot more knowledge of this disorder than you did before and probably can deal with it much better.  Thinking of you...keep posting.
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Leanna,

Have you worked your way through the program yet? That should help.  Also, have you talked to your doctor or a counsellor about how to prepare yourself for work? 

Try meditating and/or practising relaxation techniques throughout the day and before bed.  Also, visualize yourself going back to work and not being anxious about it.  Lay down and spend a few minutes seeing yourself at work, who you will talk to, what you will be doing and imagine the whole time you are happy and anxiety free. 

Members, have you experienced going back to work after an absence?  How did you cope?

Leanna, what will you enjoy about going back to work?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Leanna.

I'm goiog to presume two things. One is that you like your job. The second is that you are still on the same medication. No you should think about it, but in a different way. Think about this, antisapatory anxiety as normal, it belongs there. What you do with it dictates how bad it will be. Have you got your escape techniques in place? What do you do at home when you start to think the unwanted thoughts? What do you do to distract yourself. Do you make a cup of tea, go to the bathroom, turn on music etc. Is there some tecknique you can take with you. If you get dizzy at work tell yourself it's a side affect of the medication and is supposed to be there. That is far more acceptable than thinking "I'm going to panic". and remember it may be the medication. If people ask if your Ok, and they will, laugh and tell them you think you might have a cold. In fact tell yourself the same. Blow your nose even. And laugh. laugh lots. any thing for a distraction. And every time you manage to put your anxiety on the back burner, laugh and say "I won". You have four days to think of ways to deal with it and you only have to get through the first day. the second will be easier. And final and I hope you don't have to do this you can always go home, after all it is flu season. This is how I would deal with it. I'm sure others have more ways to calm down.  Good luck and let us know how you manage. I'll be here with bated breath (turning blue) waiting for you to post.
Peace
Davit.
14 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My doctor released me to go back to work on Monday.  This will be my second attempt. I feel much better than I did the first time, however I'm still experiencing quite a bit of anticipatory anxiety. Its only Wednesday night; still four days left until I go. Does anyone have any advice on how to help with calming this? Maybe I shouldn't think about it???

Thanks,

Leanna

Reading this thread: