Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

living in more than one space.

13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is a good way to put it. I have a safe place too. The house. I'm trying to add the library as one but there are times I get used to it but mostly I am still nervous... I know if I can exposure everyday, I would get used to it better but, I'm afraid to go myself and my support person has work. So many excuses.
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Neat! good visualization.  I can understand it just the way you explained it.
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
An amazing visual.... from an amazing mind......I'm sure this post has helped many people.
Cleo 
13 years ago 0 122 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Davit,

I know you can overcome this so keep the faith! We are all sending you
strength to bring the circles together! What we achieve makes us
stronger!!

sweatbee
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,

Very helpful explanation.  I am sure this explanation will serve many visually minded people.  Great work and great contribution!

Members, please share your thoughts.

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I discovered that I am living in more than one space, like many rooms. There is the room I live in and then there are the rooms I want to live in and a lot of the anxiety I feel comes from travelling from one to another. But the worst is when the pressure of trying to stay in a room other than my safe room drives me back to my safe room. Then for a small while I get depressed or worse yet, mad. I did not realize I was doing this and when I did then there was this huge relief because now I have something I can focus on. I was explaining this to my therapist and she told me it was OK to live in my safe room for short periods of time but not to allow myself too much time there. Think of these spaces as circles in close proximity but not touching. I am trying to bring them closer till they overlap and one day will all be just one space. There is the space I have to go to to go shopping, and the space I have to go to to deal with people in the coffee shop. There is the space I have to go to to use the phone. This one has sub spaces because some times it is no trouble at all. The distance between these spaces used to be a lot farther apart and I would always be looking over my shoulder to see how far I was getting from my safe space. It took a lot of pleasure out of doing any thing away from my safe space. Some of the spaces are touching now and travelling from one to the other has become easier with out the shoulder checking. My goal is too incorporate them all so that I can not tell one from the other and will no longer be travelling from one to the other but living in all of them at the same time. And if I need a safe space I want it to be a small space firmly attached to the other spaces.  In my mind I see all these spaces as circles that I am slowly bringing closer together. It gives me something to get a grasp on and also a way to judge my progress. How many of you do you think are living in a safe space and having a hard time venturing out. The pressure of living in one space and looking out at all the spaces I wanted to be in but couldn't was giving me headaches and nausea so bad I wanted to cry. It is much better now that I know why and what I have to do. Little steps and reaching out with both hands and pulling the circles closer together so I am more comfortable travelling from one to the other. It is far easier to spend time in another space if I can see my home space is right there if I need it.

It never seethes to amaze me what the mind can do, and how damaging some of it can be if we let it. 

Reading this thread: