Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Can't Identiy what it is I am afraid of

14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone,
I've also had trouble figuring out what my trigger was, but I've realized that it is fear... that I fear. Or sometimes it could be of a memory when I had an attack at a certain place and that would make me worry it may happen again, that it ends up happening again at that same place/situation.  I also have a fear of sleeping. I am afraid of loosing consciousness hence, I fear sleeping that I may not wake up. I think this comes from my fear of fainting and loosing control. Also, I sometimes have the same nightmares and I am afraid of these night mares that I prefer not to sleep either. But I tell myself that tonight may be different and I am able to sleep,  I just hope I don't wake up in the middle of the night. Also, just like what Davit said, I've read that the tingly feelings are due to the flight/fight response. I've read that your body brings all the blood away from easily bleeding areas (fingers, toes) when your are in this response that creates the numb and tingling feelings. (My tingling always happened on my nose and face too.)

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cie 

I have an intense fear of being stuck in a culvert it is so bad that I am having trouble writing this.  What I do is shrink my self down in my mind and turn sideways so I can sit and look out the culvert. I am so glad that you found this way of coping. Keep adding coping skills because they really do help. These are the things we really need people to write about.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Davit, I think your right about the Klonopin.  Once I slept it off overnight I feel normal today.  No panic attacks!  I may have over compensated for what I expected to happen, making myself vulnerable to the mess yesterday.  I am seeing my primary care Dr. and making an appointment with a therapist/psychologist.   Momsydo, I have a dog - Max and he has been by my side faithfully.  He's amazing and soo nice to have him here.  I'm trying the "facing the fears" exercise.  I went out alone to the local gas station and dropped some clothes off to Goodwill.  Max by my side. And it was fine.  This is silly but when I felt the tingly heat across my chest I imagined I was sprinkling powder over it, neutralizing it!  Ha, but it worked!  Im having a problem with my 22yr old daughter, who is mad and doesnt understand.  Im going to see if I can post a separate topic to open it up to other with the same.  Any advice is appreciated!

momsydoo

About hugs which really work. As you can see by my picture even a cat or dog will do if that is all you have. I have spent so much time telling my cat how I feel and him answering that I can't shut him up now. ( don't tell anyone but as a child I use to tell my stuffed animals when no one understood me.)

Davit
14 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My most important advise to you would be to describe in detail to your spouse and family what it is you feel when this comes on.  I have had anxiety (off and on) for 30 years.  It was never more than a week or 2 of a few short attacks.  Now it is worse for me because I dismissed it and didn't tackle it at the beginning.  After all this time my husband doesn't think its a problem because I've gotten through in the past.  I know I will get through now but he gets aggravated with me because I failed to explain how physically bad it is.  He always thought it was just something in my head.  The hot flash, the shaking, chills, tingling hands and feet, dizziness wasn't something he understood.  I ended up in the hospital 2 years ago because I just couldn't deal anymore.  That is when I really sat down and told him about the physical stuff and now he understands a little better.  This is a wonderful website and sometimes just coming here and typing and getting the feelings out is all I need to get my day back on track.  Try not to get to isolated at home though.  Even if you just go to the store and say "hi" to people as you pass them can be good for you.  Also, human touch can be the greatest stress reliever ever.  When I start feeling anxious I will "search out" a hug from my husband or daughter or parents or even a good friend.  I hope some of this helps.

Cie

I made a rather bad assumption her. I assumed that you have already seen a Doctor to rule out a physical reason for your symptoms such as diabetes or heart disease. If not then please do.

Davit.
Cie

One thing I forgot to mention. Klonopin can be a two edged sword. It is good when you are trying to relax but when you need to be alert and it is fogging you're thinking it can bring on panic of the sort that lasts for a minute or two but tends to reoccur every time something stressful happens such as people laughing or loud noises. Using the minimum amount you can get by with will lessen this affect.

Davit.
Joanne.

It took me a very long time to find my trigger and I actually found it when I no longer needed to. 

You could have what is called fear of a fear, which is the fear of fearing something that may or may not actually be there and is a common fear. It is good to know what is triggering your fear and eventually you have to know to get rid of it. But what is more important right now is developing coping and relaxation techniques which are available through the program. Once you learn to cope and relax your mind will be more open to what is actually the trigger, instead of running all over looking for it let it find you.

Davit.
Brian

That is the idea, keep it up and post your progress here for the rest of us to see.

Davit.
Don 

When you have an attack quickly write down every thing you are thinking and remembering at the time. Two things you will likely notice. One is that it will likely be difficult to do and secondly after you re read it, it will be stupid or non sensible. This will tell your mind every thing is Ok and the flight or fight syndrome can shut down since there is nothing there and the panic will end. This is called journaling and the more you do it the quicker they end. Read my blog and you will see what I mean.  Oh and you do likely dream you just on a good night don't remember them.

Davit.

Reading this thread: