Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

Medication...

15 years ago 0 341 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi,
i'm on meds, I dont drink anyway, never have as step dad in south africa was a bit of a boozer and it totally put me off alcohol.  If we go out and hubby gets a beer I just get a coke or something like that.   I dont smoke either, never have, just didnt get the hang of it.  I would rather not drink tho if i'm taking meds, I'm very careful about that.
15 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am also very moderate in my alchohol consumption. Alchohol isn't exactly compatible with my fitness goals. Now that I am on the anti-d's I cannot really drink at all (not that this has ever stopped my mother-in-law he he). Anyway, the meds make me feel drunk.  
I guess drnking is also all about circumstances. If you drink socially I feel this is less of a prob than sitting at home. For me at least.

I still haven't smoked yet so I hope this time my quiting will be long term.    
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, Dee...that really was a powerful story.  Glad you came out on top though, kids can bring the impossible out of their parents.  Gotta feel great to know they will always need and love you, don't it? 

Alcohol is one of the few things I don't fear going overboard with.  I don't drink too often because the sobering up process grinds every gear in my body in the worst way...and I know if I drink for an extended period of time, this can go away...but I like having it around as a reminder of which route I DON'T want to take:  I have a lot of friends who have drinking problems, so I know better then to go that route.  Just gotta remember, as fun as it can be to drink and party, I don't expect it to be that every time, and most of all I don't want to rely on that.  I guess I found my moderation with drinking.

DM, I agree with you on waiting until your ready.  That's why I've taken my time with it.  Just lately starting to think about it, because I believe now that it's possible...but I'm definitely not going to try to rush headfirst into this one.
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That was what i was trying to say in a nut shell Sylvie lol . Was one of the reasons i dropped it .
15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,   Alcohol can be a problem for some that experience panic and anxiety. We suggest never over doing it and only consuming in moderation. There are a lot of great tools and resources available if you would like more information and education on this subject. You can visit our sister site at AlcoholHelpCenter.net for more information.     Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
Lol Hi Gene , sorry twas quite a powerful post i suppose but i find i can be totally honest on here , and im getting better in 'real life' at it now . Used to cover up my feelings so much , with the yeah im ok and quickly move on and change subject away from me !

Did the smoking make me feel guilty , hmm good question . Honestly at first it did , but convinced myself it 'was only tempory' , yeah right over two years on ! Plus i was getting those pains two years ago , which they finally found out this August is gallstones . Excuses i know but it was a visious circle . Anxious want a fag , guilt cos of what it is doing to you .

Ahhh booze , yes this topic does remain quite quiet here . Some of us oldies have discussed earlier in the year . I used to love my drink , hey wasnt an alky . Just a week-end thing . But as soon as i had that first PA i coudnt find the courage to drink again . Was scared that if i was 'merry' lol and something happened to me then they would think it was just the drink . Oh i dont know if that makes sense at all . I had my first drink last Christmas with dinner , mmmmmmmmmm just a bottle of bubbly . My real love was JD and coke , do miss it . Only had a few glasses when i did but was so relaxed . I have only had a few glasses of wine a a couple of beers this year but thats more than last year .
Infact i cracked up at the hospital when i was there last month . They were doing a check list on me like they do , cringing at the smoking bit . Asked if i drank and i said no . So tea-total then . Never occured to me before . Not by choice i said and left it at that .

My husband really wants me to quit and so do my children . None of my big boys smoke and 14yr lad is such an anti-smoker he hides my cigs when he thinks he can get away with it !
15 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dee

That was a powerful post. We must all have those memories of past PAs and periods of out life that feel like trauma. I remember the worst PA I ever had. It still scares me to think about it. But I guess that with my greater understanding I can never experience such an intense PA again. I remember those moments when I felt like I could never feel better and I had no understanding of what was happening to me. To make it worse- I tried to hide what I was feeling because I didn't want people to think I was mad, which of course I felt I was. I am sure you will quit again when you want to. My wife is very insistent that I quit so I don't have much of a choice lol. Plus all the other reasons... Didn't starting smoking again make you feel more depressed though?

I feel quite good today regarding the cravings. I am supplementing my cravings with lots of chocolate  
I haven't really had any more headaches and I am sleeping like a baby so the anti-ds arn't giving me too many side effects. My doc put me straight onto a medium to high dose without first doing a lower dosing scheme to elliviate panic symptoms. So I am pleased so far.  

I am the same Joe. Two weeks is possibly my worst time as well. And then anytime after that if I foolishly smoke again lol.

Anybody here have any thoughts about alchohol? People on these forums rarely mention it. I find that the feeling of "sobering up" is so unpleasant and it feels so much like anxiety that I can't really drink at all. I am also so paranoid about developing a drinking problem in response to my anxiety that I feel utterly guilty even having a couple of drinks. But I have read that many poeple with PD develop drinking problems.  

Oh i like and dislike this thread . I know i never make much sense lol , dont understand myself sometimes  .

Have to agree with DM , you will only ever give up when you really want to . I have always said i would if a medical problem arose . Well two years ago i was in a bad way medically . I was very very over weight . A bunch of family members died and i lost my job . Had killer headaches and my feet were that swollen i couldnt get shoes on . Then bam , my first experience of the wonderful attacks . Turned out i had majour dangerously high blood pressure  . I quit without a second thought . It was so easy because i was so scared of my health .

My panic attacks got really severe i was taken away from my husband and kids to stay with my parents so they couldnt see me . I missed my family so much but everytime i went home i felt worse . I was away for quite a few weeks , the guilt was torture . Then one day my 9yr daughter phoned me very late one night .  She had snuck downstairs while everyone was in bed . She was crying she missed me , i was so helpless and my heart felt like it was physcially breaking . Talked to her for awhile and told her i would be home as soon as Grandad could take me when he got up . That was when i went back to cigs , knocked my brothers room and begged for a pack . I was too quilty and depressed .

Yes in the few weeks i gave up i felt so much better , i could walk better , breathe better , and was richer !! I will do it again , just havnt decided when .

Oh Joe , always had a sugar free lolly-pop , liked holding it . Was something to do with my hands and mouth at the same time .

Good grief ive gone on so sorry !!

Gene , that was a perfectly normal reaction to the meds , you have done ever so well in not panicking with it . I did !! Well mostly the first night , each night was easier . So please your wife is feeling better as well .
15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey everyone..

Just my two bits.. I don't think you'll be successful until you're REALLY ready.  I smoked until I was 31 and then one day I just stopped.  I had a bad cold and all of a sudden it just dawned on me that my health was being affected and it was time.  I had NEVER been able to even get through a day without a cigarette prior to this.. I only ever quit until my first coffee..lol.  When I was working at Starbucks it was crazy... a latte and a smoke.. what could be better.   I didn't use any quit smoking aids or anything, nor did I cheat... I just stopped. 

That being said I quit 4 years ago December 4th... and never even have the inkling... and I don't know why... It's definately psychological though as the fears about what smoking can do to me  now are much stronger than the "it" factor that had me hooked. 

So for all of you trying.. be patient.  Your day will come and when it does you'll be ready.  My hubby still hasn't kicked the habit.. unfortunately, but I get it... it's not easy.   I've kicked him away from the house though... our kids are getting older so he doesn't smoke at home at all.. He goes "for walks"... lol.. which is good for all of us.  Him too, as he doesn't smoke nearly as much when you have to go "out"...

Good luck to you all!
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

This may have already been mentioned, however if you need some extra support in kicking the habit, please visit our sister site, www.stopsmokingcenter.net. There is an excellent program available, as well as many tools and resources.
Check it out, and keep us posted on how you are doing,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: