Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

difference between occupation and avoidance ?

16 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for that reply. Its a difficult one, but your answer does make some kinda sense to me. I find that I keep myself so busy that I sometimes feel exhausted than I'm vulnerable. Its been one of the hardest things for me to grasp, and still not sure if I'm getting ot right !!! There must be a middle path, but still not sure what makes one occupation, and the other avoidance !!!
16 years ago 0 138 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sue, I often am faced with that conundrum too. I think I have a pretty good sense of when I am indulging in an activity that I am using purely to distract. When I actually consiously choose a positive activity to make good use of my time, then I can feel good about it. There are some people that suggest allowing yourself time to sit and be with whatever is troubling you, setting a time limit on how long you allow. When something is really eating at me, I try to express to others perhaps in forums or to myself in the form of journalling. But find it better to address it to some extent than just run and hide from it regardless of what form the distraction takes.
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sue f, You have to do what works best for you, and that dosen't mean it's going to be the best for everyone, but as long as you are benefiting, then I would suggest that you stick with it. Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This has always puzzled me !! I am a big fan of Claire Weeks and her books in which she talks at length about using occupation of any sort really to help cope with anxious thoughts. When I first read one of her books I finally thought here was some-one who understood, and it was a revelation to me. But, when does occupation become avoidance ? So for those who haven't read her, I have adopted her attitude which is by and large, not to sit and allow myself to become anxious but to do something which takes my mind of it, whether its a spot of gardening, reading , mindless t.v programme, computer game. Is ths avoidance ? And what makes it so ? I do relax whilst doing whatever I've chosen to do, but by not doing specific relaxation exercises I'm not focusing on the cause of my anxiety therefore not giving it any importance . Again then, is this avoidance ? I've found this has worked for me, and have posted similar advice here, but am concerned that I may be saying the wrong things !! So to sum up, what is the difference between occupation, and avoidance ? Does anybody know ?

Reading this thread: