Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

OMG, vacation in a few days.......help!

17 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Angel, I did visualise the journey and the holiday and kept visualising not freaking out and if I did dealing with it I was with my Husband and my family, we are thinking about going next year again, the main thing that bothered me besides all the horrible images was that the flight would go slow and seem ages as 8.5 hours is a long time but it actually went really quick and I did'nt watch any films as I just tried to stay focused the whole way, I did hold my Husband hand the whole way there and back which helped. I kind of broke the journey up in like the first few hours the crew would be bringing food round etc so that time would pass quickly, then a film for 2 hours, then more food and then about 1 - 1.5 hours before starting to descend again and also know where you are eg over sea etc as ask a steward that way you know you are getting close to getting of the plane.
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Angel, Start challenging those anxious thoughts and preparing for your flight with visualization exercises. Read through our forums, many have felt just as you did and made it through. Perhaps they will inspire you to do the same. You can do this! Danielle _____________________ The PC Support Team
17 years ago 0 207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I too am afraid of flying. My first flight ever I was in an emergency landing and that ruined it for me. I have flown since then and I visualized the flight there and back every night. I would first get very relaxed by imagining laying on the beach(that does it for me but you may be different). Then, imagine yourself on the drive to the airport and stay relaxed, if you get anxious go back to the beach(or whatever relaxes you). Then take it a step further and imagine yourself checking in at the airport, then waiting to board, then boarding, and so on. Try to do that and stay relaxed and just imagine and visualize the flight going smooth. I can tell you that I've had trips where a xanax helped a lot but doing it naturally is even better. You must think positive and believe what you think. You can do it, you know you can. You will have a safe and fun trip. Remember some anxiety is normal so don't worry too much if you feel a little anxious. You will be fine!!
17 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Jo for responding! what are the kinds of things u did to cope with ur symptoms? Did u do any visualizations before the flight? i'm just super worried....i guess its normal to feel this way! let me know
17 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Angel I am the same as you about flying I even dream scarey things but I have just come back from a 3 year trip and the flight going out was 8.5 hours alone and 6 coming back and I kept telling myself over and over that I won't freak out and if I did its OK it will pass and kept telling myself that the flying is exciting its part of the trip and you know I actually enjoyed the flight even on the way back we had a terrible flight very bumpy was front end of hurricane but the stewardess said its just like being on a really bumpy road I was concerned but did'nt freak out.
17 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI everyone. I'm freaking out a bit because my family planned a last minute vacation. If we go, we will be leaving in 3 days. I'M FREAKING OUT HERE. I hate flying. I'm always so bad on airplanes.....my anxiety just gets way out of control. I keep thinking the plane is gonna crash or that everyone will see me panic and i will cause a scene. I'm trying my best to just breath through this and think positive. I will be in the plane for about 5 hours. That is a lot for me. I remember seeing a post about airplanes but I just cannot find out from how nervous i am right now. So if anyone sees it, let me know what the post is called. any advice? any suggestions? I need anything right now. I'm just so anxious i cant think. thanks so much for your help! bye for now! :|

Reading this thread: