Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,771 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Cecilia_EH, MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78

Uncontrolable Anger - made at 4 year old

17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My child attend extended preschool 3 days a week and it's been a bad week. She's had a report daily - not listening, interrupting class, acting out and today hit another child. I realize this is common for some children, mine included, but the rage I had driving her home from school was out of proportion to the incident. I wanted to throttle her. (I didn't of course, no TV, no toys, etc.) I'm working many hours, and keeping the house running (bills, etc.), maybe I'm burned out. I came really close (again, just when I thought I was doing great) to buying a pack of cigarettes, I didn't but I'm still angry almost 6 hours later. Any advice. Thanks. Maire
17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Thanks Faith, you made me laugh with the "if only we weren't needed for six month", you know that would work. Hey how come they don't have a rebab in patient facility for us? I'ld check in in a minute. I have to shake the extra stuff. The weather here is snowy and my child has a cold, I may tell my boss I can't work tomorrow and make it up Saturday/Sunday and just take a day and chill together. No TV, no computer, just play some games, take a trip to one of her favorite places. But she's still punished, I just won't be mad, determined but not mad. Thanks for leveling my head. I hope to return the favor - you're doing fantastic Faith! Marie
17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh, Maire -- I'm so sorry you're going through this extra "stuff" right now. If we could only figure out a way to make everyone around us not need us at all for 6 months, it would be so much easier, wouldn't it? I know you're feeling guilty about how you felt toward your daughter, but part of that is just parent territory, nothing to do with smoking or not smoking. We love the little darlings to pieces, but they can severely try one's patience! But you know that -- it's just that we get so "on edge", every little -- or big -- thing becomes magnified. Breathe!! That really will help. Step outside of the situation and look at yourself and how you're responding. That can help calm you. You did a great job with your self-talk, that a cigarette would not only not help the situation, but would in fact make it a great deal worse. You got through a tough one. Good for you. Keep the faith [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 102 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,117 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $816 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Scary stuff, but are you sure you never wanted to um, "react inappropriately" when you smoked? My worst fantasy was that I was the nicest, most laid back, relaxed, universally loved guy when I smoked; it was only when I quit that I turned into the monster I've become. Sad fact -- been a monster the whole time! I just smell better now. peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,046 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $440 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marie Dont blame everything on smoking! Over the year there have been lots of times when I could have throttled my children!! Now they are bigger than me so I shut up! Phil xx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 164 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,448 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �861 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 32 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't think this IS "extra" stuff. I think this is just life, presenting you with one more learning experience as a non-smoker. i.e. how to deal with anger for the new you, who isn't masking your feelings by reaching for a fag. This is real life! Give your wee one a hug and apologise for being cranky. kids understand those kind of things. Think about how to defuse your anger in future (and let me know when you figure it out! lol) and pat yourself on the back knowing that you have another "experience" under your belt that you can now handle without a smoke. BRILLIANT! s x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,407 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �240 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
17 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Freedom feel good that you didn't pick up. That's the main thing. I have been so crabby to my kids and my boyfriend and the cigarettes would not make us any nicer, they would make us mad at ourselves instead of others. One day at a time. The anger will pass, maybe you'll find something else to be mad about but be gentle with yourself, that's what everyone tells me. I am the hardest on myself and now on others, but at least you are doing what you need to do, NOT SMOKE. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 634 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $275 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There you go again, Pete, our sweet-smelling monster..... You know what...everyone here has been in the same or similar situation. Perhaps the little one is acting out this week because she's had a bad week at home. Her mommy has been a bit 'out of sorts'. Kids pick up on tensions in the home whether they are addressed or not. Explain to your little one, in a way she can understand, that you are quitting and what she might expect for awhile. Then, when you over-react...be sure to go back later and apologise. She needs that. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 132 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,648 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1056 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56

Reading this thread: