Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Day one

8 years ago 0 69 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
  Great advice Bmac loggging on each day and even throughout the day can also be a good reminder that you have taken the pledge to yourself to quit . It is easy to forget the reason for quiting along the way ,which may make giving into temtations or triggers much easier. I have chosen have zero drinks, and writing it down on this site some where daily reenforces to my self my goals and comitment. 
  look forward to read more from you and penny 55.

have a great day.
8 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the site Bmac. Good plan to log on each day. You'll get a lot of support to achieve your goal. It's been instrumental in helping me get past this challenge and life is so much better now without alcohol interfering in my day to day activities. 

All the best,

Dave848
8 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good luck Penny55. I too am on day one. I joined AHC on March 16th with the goal to stop drinking, the only problem is I didn't utilize the site and I didn't quit drinking. I think we need to take advantage of the support here at AHC. My goal is to log on everyday and use my toolbox and read the forums, I really think it helps but if you don't log on, a day goes by then 3 days and you before you know it it's a month and you don't stop drinking if you don't have support. Don't give up Penny55!
8 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Self-loathing is part of the internal un-manageability. For me whenever I came out of a binge or a spree, I would get squirly pretty quick. Mean and nasty to other people. Given booze I was the nicest person. But unfortunately alcohol stopped working for me. 

The problem was I would go back booze and be caught in that vicious cycle. Thats powerlessness that we talk about in AA. The power to stay stopped comes when we start cleaning up. Start looking at the character defects. You see selfishness self-centeredness is the root cause of all our troubles. Once we recognizes and start working toward changing them, we become conscious, aware of all the drama that goes on in our life. We are able to sanely think through.
8 years ago 0 69 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello penny 55.  Good first step by admitting to yourself that alcohol is a problem in your life and coming to AHC. Tomorrow will be my first week sober and it seemed like I went from day 1 to 7 in in two days.  Keep your thoughts positive, educate yourself about root causes of addiction, read through these forums and check out some blogs, somewhere in there you will find your own story looking right back at you and how others have over come there barriers to sobriety.  Dont be shy to spill your thoughts out on to these pages it can be therapeutic reading them back to yourself and reading comments from those who can relate. your not alone. 
8 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Penny55,

Welcome to the site! Glad you're here. The first few days, or week, is always a challenge because we go through so many emotional upheavals, self-loathing being one of them. It will pass, I can assure you. Be patient and thoughtful, however, loathing doesn't help. You are where you are, the important thing is to move forward in a positive manner. I know, easier said than done. You just have to ride it out. Drink lots of water and start getting your vitamin stores back in place. Have a read through this to get a better idea:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03108/Alcoholism.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/65546-vitamin-supplements-alcohol-withdrawel-anxiety.html

Another thing that helps is to boil water and put a good slice of fresh lemon in it. It will help to cleanse your liver. Expect your sleep habits will likely be disrupted over the next week or so. I takes a bit of time to detox, however, it is well worth it. Your head will clear and you'll start to feel healthy again.

How much have you been drinking? What is your goal? Quit completely, moderate? We're all here to help and you'll get a lot of support so keep posting, share your thoughts and use the tools on the site and the diary to track your progress. Life is so much better without the baggage of drinking too much. Good for you for reaching out for support. Well done!

All the best,

Dave848

8 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Im at day one - 4 hours in....hoping the self-loathing will end soon....any suggestions for success will be appreciated
8 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Im at day one - 4 hours in....hoping the self-loathing will end soon....any suggestions for success will be appreciated
8 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This concludes 1 week of not drinking.  It feels solid. I feel more real, more energetic, more clear, more happy with me.
8 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Last night was tough for me, too, but I didn't give in! Today I am keeping busy!

Reading this thread: