Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,785 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

Alcohol or Smoking or Both

9 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've never smoked so I can't help you there, but I know stopping drinking caused some agitation and anxiety for me. With my limited experience I'd advise having an activity/hobby to replace your addictions. Exercise works for me. Find something that works for you. I've heard adding a positive to your life is easier than taking away a negative. Focus on a new activity (read distraction) and how that is having a positive impact on your new life.

Cheers
9 years ago 0 11223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

I have heard many people work on smoking and alcohol at the same time. The choice is really up to you. If you feel this is working for you then fantastic. If you start to become overwhlemed be sure you have a plan in place. Which addiction has the biggest impact on your life and health? Make sure you stay focused on one even if that means you need to slip in the other.

Either way, great work!Keep us updated.
Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Along with my alcohol addiction, I am also battling with my first and oldest addiction; nicotine. 

Maybe I’ve just subconsciously decided to punish myself for the years of abuse I’ve inflicted on my body, or maybe I am testing the limitations of my mental and physical capacity.  But the day following my decision to stop drinking, I also stopped smoking.  I am proud to say that I not only have a week of sobriety under my belt but I’m also 6 days smoke free.  I have questioned myself a number of times since; have I taken on too much too soon? I am generally a very calm laidback type of person who doesn’t display a lot of emotion, but this past week I’ve noticed that I am easily agitated and I’m probably not the most pleasant person to be around at this time.  The one positive thing I see with battling my two addictions at once is that I’m not sure which craving is causing the moments of anxiety.  I am thinking that my smoking cessation withdrawals are overshadowing my alcohol cessation withdrawals but I cannot say for sure.  Would really appreciate feedback from anyone who has been there???

Alcohol has always been a trigger for my smoking addiction and when I substituted smoking cigarettes with smoking cigars, the cigars became a trigger for alcohol and vise-versa.  Nevertheless I convinced myself that I was making some sort of progress; hey, I gave up cigarettes!   Last week when I quit drinking I concluded it was time to quit smoking also for it was when I was drinking I smoked the most.

Reading this thread: