Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,785 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

Stressful Day or Seasonal

9 years ago 0 11223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,

Great topic Nodrama. I think seasons have a big impact on people and for many reasons. 

You are very insightful. I can see why the start of a new school year would be triggering for you. I wonder if there is a way to reframe your perspective on this time of year? It sounds like you view the start of a new year as a sort of loss. This could be a core belief that stems back from your childhood or perhaps it has just developed over time. Either way, you do have a choice, you can change this belief. What would you like to believe about this time of year? What perspective would work better for you?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today the sun was out and it was a beautiful day.  But, yes....change in seasons means days past and lost.  I like the light idea. I think that's an excellent idea Thanks TS!  I think it starts for me actually when school starts.  I feel like I lost another year that my kids are closer to leaving....that I'm older and then I worry about my parents (they are quite old)....It's a spiral for me and it kicks off in September usually.  I've been better this year but, as I've posted before I dread the holiday's so that's part of it for me and the dark early stuff is for the birds! 
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ND,

I can really to relate to what you are saying about the change in seasons. My favourite activities require nice weather and this time of year signals the end of them for another season (I'm in Canada so this time marks the beginning of 6 months worth of downtime from them). Plus, not seeing the sun for extended days wears on you. I'm ok if it's sunny, however, grey, overcast days can be a challenge. I think I'll give that GoLite a try that TS mentioned. Now is a realy good time to set some fitness goals and get at the workouts. 

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ND,

Seasonal changes certainly have a significant impact on me. The weather here is also very much fall, cool and overcast. I try to concentrate on the beautiful palette of colors that's evolving as the leaves turn. Unfortunately, with it comes a sense of loss since another summer has passed, something we can never get back again. So perhaps we start to look for a little solace and what was our go to in the past? Overcast days are depressing plain and simple. You may want to research the "golite". It simulates the sun and can help lift a somber mood as well as aid sleep. It does help and thank you for bringing the topic up as I really need to use mine now.

I'm trying to look at fall as a new beginning, a new adventure and clean slate. No point in being stuck in history, far too much mental chatter.

Embrace the day!
TS
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So the last few days have been very fall in my area. I wonder if seasonal changes effect us.  I'm not talking Holidays so much now.....just weather changing. Or is it the time of year is more stressful? I don't know the answer it just occurred to me today....perhaps the season has something to do with drinking. I've had a couple of triggered urges the last 2 days but they've passed....I can't put my finger on the trigger. What do you guys think? Is it the time of the season or am I over thinking things.

Reading this thread: